Star Lounger
    Thanks

Credential Manager

I worked and researched on the following issue with Credential Manager for quite a while and cannot find a remedy:

Opening Credential Manager in Control Panel results in an error code 0x80070425 with the message: The service cannot accept messages at this time.

I opened Services and found that the service is set to manual which appears to be correct. But the service is stopped. I tried to start it with the result: Windows cannot start the Credential Manager on Local Computer. Error 5: Access denied.

I tried a Restore to an earlier point but with no avail, still the same issue. Also tried Refresh with no avail. Third, I tried cmd and the sfc /scannow (with administrator privileges), no result, all seems to be ok.

Any Google search turned up suggestions which also do not work. The only possible thing I could not find anything about is this mysterious Error 5: Access denied., where I cannot find which access to what.

I have a second PC with W 8 and there everything works fine. I really do not have a clou what's going on. As always MS does not offer any solution whatsoever even though the issue appears not be rare.

I wonder whether my user profile is corrupt. I know how to create/replace an existing user account but would this really resolve the issue? It is only the Credential Manager in the Control Panel that is not working, everything else works fine: no issues with passwords etc.

Thanks
    I would suggest creating a new user profile, and see if Credential Manager works for the new profile.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Try going to Services and change the Credentials Manager service from manual to automatic.
    Reboot and see if you still have the issue.
    Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am really a bit hesitant to create a new user profile because I do not know what is causing the issue, and - as I said above - everything else works inclusive networking.

Also, I tried to set Credential Manager to "Automatic" and rebooted, which did not help at all.

Apparently, the issue might be stuck in the NTUSER.DAT and the other NTUser.Dat{....} files. I have there about 10, of which 3 are with today's date and the other 7 with dates that are up to 10 days back. I am thinking of deleting them or better renaming those 7 and see what happens. The up-to-date 3 would remain as they are because they get updated each time I boot or reboot.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All my research on this subject did not reveal any solution. Someone suggested to create a new account, which I found then on a MS website how to do.
    However, I do not just start with something like this in the hope it resolves the problem.

In case, I would create a new account and copy all files from the old account over to the new except for the ntuser.dat *.*, and ntuser.ini, would this really resolve the problem. Accessing Control Panel > Credential Manager, would this create a new ???. I would think, it would not because the file used, namely lsass.exe, to start Credential Manager is still the same and being used by all accounts.

Further, I tried to start Credential Manager in Services and get the error 5; access denied. Windows cannot start the Service on the local computer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    All my research on this subject did not reveal any solution. Someone suggested to create a new account, which I found then on a MS website how to do.
    However, I do not just start with something like this in the hope it resolves the problem.
    Sometimes a user account becomes corrupted. The suggestion "try creating a new user account" does not necessarily mean that you immediately switch all settings, etc. to the new account. It merely means to try a new account to see if the new account works properly. If it does, that is a good indication that the original account is somehow corrupted.

However, it is merely a suggestion. What you do is entirely up to you.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows