Brooksville, FL

Problem with Windows 7

I have Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64 bit installed. My monitor keeps flashing and Microsoft's website customers indicate there is a problem with this software - is this true. If so, should I upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or to Windows 8. Will this fix my problem?

Connie: Welcome to the Lounge!

A clean reinstall of Windows may in fact fix your problem. If so, then yes, upgrading to 7 pro or 8 will fix your problem. However, it will take some time, and you will lose whatever is currently on your computer (pictures, documents, etc).

Here are some possibilities:

* You may have a corrupted video driver. A simple uninstall/reinstall or upgrade of the video driver will fix that. You can do an uninstall/reinstall or upgrade as a test, to see if that fixes the problem. If that wasn't the problem, then no harm done.

* You may have a bad monitor. Swap monitors with another PC to confirm whether or not this is true. If the monitor is bad, replace the monitor.

We really need more information, however, in order to assist you with this. You say the monitor keeps flashing. How often does it flash? Does it flash consistently (e.g. every few seconds), or does something you do seem to trigger the flash? What exactly do you mean by "flashing"?

Also, what kind of computer do you have? Desktop? Laptop? What is the brand and model number?

What software do you believe there is a problem with? If it is a driver, a new driver may solve the problem. If you have a malware infestation then perhaps cleaning it out will solve the problem.

The only way a new installation will definitely solve the problem (in most cases) is doing a format as part of the installation. In this manner everything on the HD is wiped out when the new OS is installed. During the installation, choose Custom Install. On the next screen choose the Advanced (Drive) Options link. Highlight the present installation and choose format.

**Caution - Be sure you have backed up all your data because you will loose everything on the HD using this method**

Once the installation is finished, you can reinstall all the apps you need and put your data back where it belongs.

This will get rid of malware if that is causing your problem. There might be less drastic methods available.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Just a note, Connie to say that W-7 is valid here. I also run W-7, the same as you run. No need to upgrade only a cleaning job is required. Jean.