Lounger
    Thanks

Question before I upgrade my hardware

Scenario: I have an old motherboard, cpu, graphics card, moderately old memory, and two quite new HDDs.
    (for those interested in such things, it's an A8N-SLI Deluxe with a 32 bit AMD cpu and an HIS IceQ Excalibur GPU, top notch for its vintage, but...)
    All my user data is on the D: drive and 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium plus software is installed on the C: drive. I have a legitimate product key.

I have acquired new mobo, cpu, gpu and memory - the mobo is Intel not AMD, and the cpu is 64-bit not 32-bit. While the old mobo had on-board sound, I have got a separate soundcard for the upgraded system as well.
    (again, for those interested, it's a P8Z77-V Pro with an i7-3770K cpu, an HD7970 gpu, and a Xonar Essence STX card)

When I replaced this machine's HDDs last year I purchased the Win 7 Home Premium upgrade disks with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions and installed the 32 bit version, replacing the Win XP I had previously, so I have those disks (and product key) available

Wouldn't it be nice if I could just swap out all the hardware, reboot Windows, put the 64-bit disk in the DVD drive and after some automated updates everything would just work. I'm guessing that isn't really an option though.

Is there a shortcut here or should I bite the bullet, reformat the C disk and just do everything as a fresh install?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatarkus View Post
    I have acquired new mobo, cpu, gpu and memory - the mobo is Intel not AMD, and the cpu is 64-bit not 32-bit.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could just swap out all the hardware, reboot Windows, put the 64-bit disk in the DVD drive and after some automated updates everything would just work. I'm guessing that isn't really an option though.

Is there a shortcut here or should I bite the bullet, reformat the C disk and just do everything as a fresh install?
    aquatarkus,

Hello... A few questions ..(and comments)

1.You mentioned XP ...are you planning a "Dual Boot"? ( 7 \ XP) ...If so some Intel \ Mobo Combos will not support XP

2. 64 bit vs 32 bit ...you can run either ...you will have activation problems if your old system was 32 bit and you try to run \ load the 64 bit disk on a new system (call to MS will take care of this)

3. Drivers for the new MOBO will be an issue ...Make sure that you have the "disk" from the new MOBO that has the drivers. If you don't "Blue Screens" at boot time

4. You also should be checking into your new MOBO's BIOS ...and setting things before you try and boot up the new OS....Boot sequence , and other settings, etc.

5. I have done this type of thing and it can be a real pain .... Drivers, Settings , activation etc. I would make a "full OS image " ( making sure that you have a working "Recovery disk") of each OS before proceeding ...and store it on a "Separate Data Drive " Format > partition> and install new OS.. Post back with any questions Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

No, not a dual boot. It started as an XP box with its original disk drive, when that died I replaced it with two disks, did a clean install of Win 7 (32 bit) from the upgrade disks and reinstalled all my applications, putting all my data on the second disk. The renewed machine will (I hope) just boot to Win 7 (64 bit).

As far as backups go everything that matters is regularly synced to a NAS system here already.

It sounds like treating it like a new system (with a pre-populated D drive) is really the safest way to go. When you mention activation problems, do you mean that if I have activated 32-bit Windows using a product key, I may not use the same product key to activate 64-bit Windows? If so, I guess I'd have the same problem with Office 2010, where (again) I have a legitimate version with both sets of disks, but installed and activated the 32 bit version.

Cheers
    T

Thanks
    The only way to 'upgrade' from x86 to x64 Windows versions is to format and install from scratch.

If you had both DVD versions in the same pack, that sounds like the retail upgrade version, as such, activation should not be an issue.
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-06-26 at 12:00.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

aquatarkus (2013-06-26)