5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Think twice about installing Windows 8.1 Preview

PATCH WATCH

Think twice about installing Windows 8.1 Preview

By Susan Bradley

On June 26, Microsoft unveiled Windows 8.1 as a public preview; but before installing Win8.1 Preview, you should know a few important facts. Plus: It's time for the end-of-the-month, nonsecurity patch cleanup; and if you're running Java, check that it's up to date.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/think-twice-about-installing-windows-8.1-preview/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Susan for the info about Windows 8.1, I'll certainly take your advice onboard as I was thinking of having a play with it.

With regards to the Patch updates, you have not updated your advice about KB 2834140, do you think it is safe to now install?

Also, I have been offered KB 2808679, reviewed to version 2.0 on 11th June, which deals with verifying URI ports, any thoughts?

Cheers,

John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Susan for the continued guidance on the continuing updates that are required to keep our systems running at their optimum. Please help clarify a lingering question: Is it absolutely necessary for the general type user to continue installing the ".NET" updates? Is it possible to just continue to 'hide' these updates as we will not be writing and/or testing any special apps, coding, etc.???? Thanks again and PLEASE keep up the outstanding work along with the rest of the staff!

Regards
    Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Also waiting to hear about KB 2834140...

Quote Originally Posted by jrp2706 View Post
    Thank you Susan for the info about Windows 8.1, I'll certainly take your advice onboard as I was thinking of having a play with it.

With regards to the Patch updates, you have not updated your advice about KB 2834140, do you think it is safe to now install?

Also, I have been offered KB 2808679, reviewed to version 2.0 on 11th June, which deals with verifying URI ports, any thoughts?

Cheers,

John