Thread: Find & Replace

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find & Replace

I have copy/pasted ten pages of an article in Wikipedia to form a Word (2003) document which I want to print. It cites over 200 references in the form [195]. I want to remove these and cannot find a way to do it "en masse". I can do it one at a time but that will take forever - is there a way to do it using a wild card between the square brackets, such as[*] - I cannot find one. I often do such copies so this is not a one off.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to do. If you are trying to get rid of the blue hyperlinks, there is a 2 step approach that I use.
    Step 1 is CTRL-A the word doc. Next CTRL-SHIFT-F9. That will remove all hyperlinks.
    Step 2 is highlight one of the blue references that used to be hyperlinks. In styles and formatting select all. Then clear. The blue fonts will now become whatever your default is.
    Perhaps this is what you are trying???
    Michael

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael37713 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-06-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do a Ctrl A on the Wikipedia article and then copy/paste into notepad, then copy/paste from notepad into Word. Following is an example of what I end up with "......portraits of other people.[190]" - it is the [190] and all of the other couple of hundred or so that I want to get rid of. I have just tried copy/paste direct into Word 2003, by-passing notepad, and then do what you suggest - the blue disappeared but when I selected Clear all that happened was that the number no longer was a superscript but a large "normal" font, the same as I am trying to remove.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word, try a find/replace with Use Wildcards turn on and in the find box: \[[0-9]\]
    Then, leave the replace with either blank or type 1 space.

I think that might do it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kweaver For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-06-27)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do a Ctrl A on the Wikipedia article and then copy/paste into notepad
    Pasting into notepad will remove hyperlinks and change formatting!! Notepad can’t do either.
    I assume you are directly in word and I assume you are trying to remove [1] when it is a superscript. This is a little more complicated.
    This procedure is a little more detailed than the one listed above.
    To erase [1] when it is a single digit; in the find and replace window under find what, enter [1] by mouse selecting and copying to find bar. Now scroll back to “1” and mouse select. Then click special tab, then select “any character”. You should now have in find bar:: [^?]
    Under replace with:; enter “space”. “space is clicking the space bar. Then click the replace tab. This will eliminate all instances of superscripts with a single digit.
    Repeat above for double digits. That is repeat the above replacing 2 instances of “any character” with a single space.
    Repeat again for 3 characters and you should be finished.
    Good luck
    Michael

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael37713 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-06-27)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I think: \[*\] in the find what is even easier. This will find [1], [nb 5], etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kweaver For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-06-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all. I tried the \[[0-9]\] solution and it made only one deletion. I then tried the \[*\] solution and it removed 171 - I had already removed a lot manually. Very many thanks for all your help - it will save me a lot more time in the future. Great service.