Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 update is available

The iso file are not yet avaialble but you can get the update here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...wnload-preview

Note that if you install the update you will have to reinstall all your programs and apps when the final version comes out.

Jerry

Thanks
    I did download the file. I was a little put off by the English version warning, but did not find it in the App Store. I am not sure if or when I will install it. I will have to create an Image first for later restoration.

If I restore my Image, will the app reinstallation still be necessary? I suspect not unless the reinstallation is required for all updates when the final version is released.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I spent one joyless hour with the Preview. The upgrade from the Windows Store proceeded quite smoothly and over a 50 MB/sec optical fiber line and completed in about 45 minutes. BUT … the Preview semi-breaks Classic Start, and from what I have read online so far, every other Start Button/Menu simulacrum as well. It fatally compromised the driver/set up of my Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic card, inherently difficult and touchy to install but flawlessly operational on two of my Eight systems. It obliterated 8GadgetPack beyond repair or re-installation.

I made three Acronis images on two external drives prior to this joy ride and quickly reverted to Eight. Obviously 3rd party utilities and fundamental drivers will need adjustment for the transition to 8.1. No real surprise here.

Thank goodness for images!

Thanks
    If I restore my Image, will the app reinstallation still be necessary?
    Ted, you should be able to install the final version to your restored image without losing your apps or desktop programs. You will have to reinstall any settings, bookmarks, apps and desktop programs you added in the 3 months or so between now and when the final comes out. Sort of like having an out of date image.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    W 8.1 pre-view NOT
    after my second attempt both ending in blank screen after watching the beta fish. I read the FAQ it only works on any computer running windows 8 RT!!! after all this hype and whoopee the day is finally here, "awww bummer you aren't running RT!!"
    Great Teaser MS I won't type what I feel after being duped

Thanks
    You can download the ISO file, burn it to DVD and use this to install V 8.1. Scroll down a ways for the ISO file you need.

The download other than through the app store appears to be just for RT. I have yet to see the download in the app store.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

mrzig14 (2013-06-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You thank you thank you

"when in doubt read the directions"

Thanks
    The download is going quite slowly for me. Probably because of the large numbers of downloaders.

Glad I could help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted. What can one do with the keys that are given on that site ? Will they validate a W-8.1 install ? A great cool day to you. Jean.

Thanks
    I am not sure Jean. I am still working on downloading the ISO file. Very slow and then I had a problem. Had to start over. I suspect once the ISO file is burned to DVD, you will have to add the key as is done normally, although I do not know for certain.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Product Key: NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F will work - it did for me. Have installed as an upgrade through the Store and also used the ISO for a clean install. Both installs did work for me.

Rich

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have about 2 hours and 8 minutes remaining of a 3 hour and 14 minutes download. It is slow.

The product key is posted on the download site, and as mentioned above it is NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F

If I couldn't go off and drink a glass of beer and watch Television it would be a problem, but since I can I don't really care how long it takes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrzig14 View Post

well I got it installed it boot looped about three times and settled for automatic repair then rebooted to a black screen, after a lot of fooling with it it looks like it didnt like the evga gtx 660SC as it couldn't identify it, after downloading the whql driver it works fine

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I got the .iso and got it to a DVD and also to a USB-HD. Did you notice that the D/L of the .iso produced a new device, F:\ in my case that held all the unzipped files/folders. I made sure to copy all to outside medium as I had a hunch later proven, that if I shutdown the machine this phantom device would disappear and it did. If one installs .1 right after the D/L all goes fine but I needed to go and I had a feeling that this was just a setup device. I can now install .1 at leisure, I tried it but did not complete the process, yet ! My D/L was quite speedy here, > 1 hour. .. I also think that the given keys are just to use the preview, they will be negated when the real .iso comes out and one would maybe be allowed to install .1 as an upgrade and it would use your initial keys. .. Be good. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrzig14 View Post

ps the only way it would install was a clean "wipe and pave" no apps, no nothing, a full-on fresh start. probably for the best it is pretty smooth, besides I have W8 images all over my drives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast