Thanks

Question Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and Windows Firewall

When I had XP and ran Comodo Internet Security Suite, the Windows firewall wasn't running. Now that I have Windows 8 and Kaspersky Internet Security (2013), I see in 'services' that the Windows firewall is running. I thought that KIS had it's own firewall and the Windows firewall wouldn't be running.

So far I haven't noticed any problems except the following in the Event Viewer:

Windows Firewall was unable to notify the user that it blocked an application from accepting incoming connections on the network.

Reason: The application is a system service
    Application Path: C:\program files (x86)\kaspersky lab\kaspersky internet security 2013\avp.exe
    IP Version: IPv6
    Protocol: TCP
    Port: 1110
    Process Id: 1856
    User: SYSTEM

So, do I leave well enough alone or disable the Windows firewall?

TIA

Thanks
    This link & post are very,similar to yours;http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...orton-Security
    Scroll on down & read;ruirib reply.He has answered the question very well.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    To complement chowur's answer, the way to check whether Windows firewall is running is to open the network and sharing center and choose Windows firewall at the bottom left. The service, which is what you checked, will be running even if the firewall itself has been stopped by KIS.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    To complement chowur's answer, the way to check whether Windows firewall is running is to open the network and sharing center and choose Windows firewall at the bottom left. The service, which is what you checked, will be running even if the firewall itself has been stopped by KIS.
    That seems to be the case. Under the firewall it reports that the settings are managed by Kaspersky. So I guess all's well.

thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Odos270 View Post
    That seems to be the case. Under the firewall it reports that the settings are managed by Kaspersky. So I guess all's well.

thanks
    This description seems to indicate that KIS doesn't disable the Windows Firewall -- it leverages it with enhanced security settings. This does not add HIPS protections, which could be viewed as a weakness in KIS.

If you feel well protected, I'd leave well enough alone and continue to use KIS in this case.

(Full Disclosure -- I use just the firewall and DNS components of Comodo Personal Firewall in Windows XP. The rest is MSE-4 plus scanners for spyware protections. On my newer laptop, I find the Windows 8 or Windows 7 Firewall to be just fine as it is, so I don't use anything that could mess with it. Windows 8 has enough bugs without adding any more. I prefer Avast over Windows Defender, but there is a tradeoff in Internet performance and user logon performance with Avast in both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on my computer.)
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-07-05 at 04:07.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    This description seems to indicate thea KIS doesn't disable the Windows Firewall -- it leverages it with enhanced security settings. This does not add HIPS protections, which could be viewed as a weakness in KIS.

If you feel well protected, I'd leave well enough alone and continue to use KIS in this case.

(Full Disclosure -- I use just the firewall and DNS components of Comodo Personal Firewall in Windows XP. The rest is MSE-4 plus scanners for spyware protections. On my newer laptop, I find the Windows 8 or Windows 7 Firewall to be just fine as it is, so I don't use anything that could mess with it. Windows 8 has enough bugs without adding any more. I prefer Avast over Windows Defender, but there is a tradeoff in Internet performance and user logon performance with Avast in both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on my computer.)
    Well, I can't complain. When I bought this new computer, they threw in KIS for $15.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Odos270 View Post
    Well, I can't complain. When I bought this new computer, they threw in KIS for $15.
    Sweet deal! Just watch out for the price bump when you renew!
    -- Bob Primak --