Lounger
    Thanks

Question Can't access harddrive

I have a Gateway e4100 small form hornet tower desktop PC. I am running currently on a 70 GB hard drive. In this computer, I can hook up my 70 GB western digital, and my 40 GB western digital, and access both with no problems. But when I place my western digital 20GB hard drive in, I can't access it. It's not scratched, damaged, or anything. So I don't know what gives here really. It has Windows XP SP2 installed on it. But it seems any HD under 40GB isn't allowed to be accessed on this computer? Strange.

Thanks
    The best thing.I can advise is to download your user manual;https://support.gateway.com/s/PC/E41...800471ul.shtml
    Then go to trouble shoot,then hard drive.The best of luck in trouble shooting.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    I have a Gateway e4100 small form hornet tower desktop PC. But when I place my western digital 20GB hard drive in, I can't access it. It has Windows XP SP2 installed on it. But it seems any HD under 40GB isn't allowed to be accessed on this computer?
    Magik,

Hello.... The size of the "HD" shouldn't matter ... What is an issue is the "Drivers" for XP hard drive are most likely "IDE"... So unless your BIOS is setup to "see" IDE it wont boot the drive ... New HD's are "AHCI" (SATA)

The only way out of this is to "Slipstream" the SATA drivers into XP using 3rd party software like nLite, or Macrium Reflect's "Redeploy" function, Acronis PlusPack, etc. or change the BIOS setting every time you want to boot the XP HD... Regards Fred

PS: See This
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-06-27 at 10:58.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    My e4100 is IDE. My western digital 70 GB and 40 GB are IDE drives, both of them.

Thanks
    I have a Gateway e4100 small form hornet tower desktop PC. I am running currently on a 70 GB hard drive. In this computer, I can hook up my 70 GB western digital, and my 40 GB western digital, and access both with no problems. But when I place my western digital 20GB hard drive in, I can't access it. It's not scratched, damaged, or anything. So I don't know what gives here really. It has Windows XP SP2 installed on it. But it seems any HD under 40GB isn't allowed to be accessed on this computer? Strange.
    Have you looked here:-

Untitled.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    My e4100 is IDE. My western digital 70 GB and 40 GB are IDE drives, both of them.
    Magik,

Hello... Are there any jumpers (settings) on the XP Hard Drive?
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the drive show up in the BIOS? If not, you have a problem (like maybe a bad drive, bad track zero)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok guys false alarm. My Windows XP install on that hard drive had become corrupted somehow. I did a simple repair install using the Windows Xp disc, and was able to access the installation on the 20 GB hard drive. Thanks!