Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless printing problem: Is homegroup involved?

I have two laptops on a home network as well as a Lexmark printer using WiFi printing. The original older laptop prints to the printer just fine. When the new laptop got here about a month ago, I used the Lexmark install CD to install the printer to use wireless printing. And it work OK. As far as I know, I did not set up any homegroup or anything like that. And the newer laptop can see the public folders on the older one using the Network location in File explorer. Last night, we were unable to print from the newer laptop. The laptop needed black ink but did not display the "Complete a print" message that allows you to finish using blended colrs for black. It would act like it was printing but would just not proceed. After I replaced the black ink cartridge, the older laptop could print OK but the newer laptop was still seeing a message that black ink was low and still would not print. The troubleshooter suggests the new laptop needs to join the homegroup. I went so far as to get the Homegroup password from the older laptop and enter it into the wizard on the newer laptop. The new one then reported that it could not join the homegroup and offered no solution. I have removed and re-installed the printer using both the Lexmark disk and also just letting Win 7 do it (both are on Win 7). It just won't print.
    I thought about just putting the printer back on USB and sharing it from the older laptop but then thought without the Homegroup being able to connect that wouldn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas where I go/what I try next? I've tried everything I can think of and I think I've remembered to relate everything I've tried here. Short of making everyone use my laptop to print I don't know what to do next.

Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    When you open 'Devices and Printers', does the printer show up on the new laptop? Is the printer set as the default printer on the new laptop? If it shows up - does it show as being 'on-line' or 'off-line'? If you can 'see' it on the new laptop and it is not 'greyed out', see if you can bring up the properties.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Yes, and it showed once as off-line I recall (not at home now to check). It wasn't greyed out. And when it was there and set as default, I tried to print...it would beging (printing page 1 of 5) but then never progress.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Will it print a 'test page' (the one that shows the drivers installed? Can you run the nozzle check from this laptop? Check to see if the printer is set to print b4 all pages are spooled. When the printer is printing and b4 it stops, is it printing what it is supposed to or does it throw a little weirdness in along the way? Is it possible that the printer is getting a low signal from the router or the new laptop does not have 4 bars? What is your connect speed? Does it degrade over a period of time?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No test, no utilities, never actually puts ink to paper...just says it is printing page 1 of whatever. It used to start printing right away. The wifi is very strong and fast for everything...no degradation at any time.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the printer have a 'power save' feature? B4 you send something to print and actually b4 doing anything else, you need to be able to print a test page. Under 'Devices and Printers' you've already said it shows up there and is not greyed out and is selected as the default, but does it show that it is a wireless connection (network)? Has it ever worked correctly with your new laptop?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It does have a power save but I can wake it up by "tapping" the power button. I did that first to make sure it was reaedy. In the past though sending it a print job wakes it up. I think this Homegroup crap is involved now becuase something else was troublesome. Since she can only print from my laptop, my wifewas using mine but wanted to go get a file from the shared public documents folder on the newer laptop upstairs....but it was unable to connect. But I was able to sit at the upstairs computer and copy the file onto the shared publlic documents folder on my older laptop downstairs. Makes no sense that one computer can get into the others publilc shared folders but the other can't do it in the reverse direction. What is this Hoomegroup stuff anyway...there was no "homegroup" involved with the desktop upstairs and my laptop downstairs prior to replacing the desktop with the new laptop...both computers could just read/write into the other one's public shared documents folders....no homegroup required. Something is fishy here.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't use 'home group', but do have my drives set up as shareable. We have 2 windows 7 desktops, one 98 XP desktop and 2 XP laptops, one HP laser printer connected directly to my wife's desktop and a canon inkjet connected directly to my desktop and to top it off an HP MFC connected via wi-fi. The windows 7 systems can and do share files and printers (all) and show up like regular network links. The XP systems can access all of the printers, but none of the files other than the home group files. This is Microsoft's new work-group design. It comes down to sharing and security settings to determine if things are shared both ways. In my opinion, sharing via the network/drives is easier than trying to do the home group thing.
    Where is the printer in relation to the new laptop? Does the Lexmark printer have a LCD screen that you set the wireless up on or did you do it via one of the laptops?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I set it up via the older laptop...then I can take the lexmark disc to the new laptop and when the setup runs it asks if it is new or existing...I chose existing and then wireless. That's what I did the very firsts time when it still worked. How do I get rid of the homegroups that have obviously set themselves up since I didn't overtly choose to have a homegroup? I have the public folders shared on both laptops but it only seemed to go one way last evening.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I ignore the work groups - they are there, but they are only links (not duplicate files) so they don't use much HD space. Public folders are part of the home group. Look for 'Network' in windows explorer and see that both systems show up. If they are there, expand the drive/partition and check if you can see the files. The security for file access is flaky and even though I set the drive and all folders to be shared, the OS doesn't allow access to all files. If you cannot access a file on one of the systems, you will need to check that the file/folder is indeed shareable. I'm thinking when you set up the second laptop - try picking 'new and wireless'. That way you should be able to access the printer regardless what system you are using. Existing to me implies it was at one time attached to the second system and the links just needed refreshing.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll try that. Hopefully that will take care of t he printer. Now I've also got to figure out whay I can share only one way. I can't just ignore the homegroup if it is the problem. May try to flush the wireless networking and set it up again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The home group should not be a problem, unless you are relying on it as the only way you want to share files and folders. Good luck on the printer: )

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I nuked the homegroups on both computers and they can see (read and write) to each other's public folders again now. I also re-installed the printer using just Win7 on the newer laptop letting Win 7 do it ... that didn't work. Didn't have a chance to try it again with the Lexmark disk yet.

Thanks
    The easiest way for you to be able to print to this printer from all computers is to make it a network printer. In other words, connect it to your router -- either wirelessly (wifi) or with an ethernet cable. It doesn't matter which.

Once you have connected it to your router, you can then install the printer software on each computer, in each case setting up the printer as a network (not local) printer.

By setting it up as a network printer, you won't have to be concerned with one computer being able to see and use the resources (in this case the printer) of another computer.

Although it isn't usually necessary, I always assign an IP address to the printer; and then, when I install the printer software on a computer, I input the printer's IP address. The printer software then can easily attach to the printer.

Check what I have posted here for more information about using an IP address for your network printer:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...on-Need-advice

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen in some situations, the printer needs to be attached (wired) to one of the systems to set up the printer, to tell it you want a wi-fi connection and set the ID/password in the printers ROM. It ought to tell you in the users manual, how to set it up as a network printer connecting via wi-fi.