Thanks

Ed Bott Hands on with Windows 8.1

http://www.zdnet.com/hands-on-with-t...ew-7000017334/

Sounds like they answered most of my issues with Windows 8:
    Allows disabling of the hot spots
    Allows booting to the desktop
    Provides a universal search of apps, data, and control items.

I will probably stick with Classic Shell because of familiarity but will no longer be upset if it is disabled.

Jerry

Thanks
    IMHO, it's still a tablet interface in a PC world.

Thanks
    Nope. I've already answered all my Windows 8 issues with StartIsBack. I'll likely skip 8.1.

Seems the majority of Ed's "hands on" was with Apps, not so much Windows 8.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Seems the majority of Ed's "hands on" was with Apps, not so much Windows 8.
    Less than a third was about Apps.

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Less than a third was about Apps.

Bruce
    I didn't actually count the first time. Allow me to clarify.

In my understanding, Apps are those items which are launched from and open in the App (Start) Screen, not from (or in) the Desktop. While StartIsBack does indeed allow launching Apps from the Desktop, they launch in the App (Start) Screen. But we're talking about Ed Bott's article. From the 26 images/pages in the article,

1. The new Start screen
    2. Apps at a glance
    3. Moving tiles into groups
    4. More Start screen customizing options
    5. Windows 8.1 PC Settings
    6. New look for old functions
    7. SkyDrive is built in
    8. The return of the Start button
    9. Changes in File Explorer
    10. Desktop options
    11. Search everywhere
    12. Snap improvements
    13. A new look for the Windows 8.1 Store
    14. Apps in the spotlight
    15. Ratings and reviews for apps
    16. A “hit driven” approach
    17. Saving items to read later
    18. The Reading List in action
    19. Smart snapping
    20. Photo-editing tools
    21. Alarms, etc.
    22. Food and drink, weights and measures
    23. A sorely needed revamp to Xbox Music
    24. Health and Fitness
    25. Turn your PC into a mobile hotspot
    26. Biometric authentication

I've underlined the 3 images/pages that pertain to the Desktop. The rest either are Apps or about Apps or the App Store and are launched in the App (Start) Screen. That's a tad over 88%; a majority of the images/pages in Ed's article.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I've underlined the 3 images/pages that pertain to the Desktop.
    I didn't realize "... Apps, not so much Windows 8." really meant "Modern, not so much Desktop."

But the last two, mobile hotspot and biometric authentication, surely apply to either UI?

Were you expecting many changes to the Desktop in Windows 8.1?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-06-27 at 19:57.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I didn't realize "... Apps, not so much Windows 8." really meant "Modern, not so much Desktop."

But the last two, mobile hotspot and biometric authentication, surely apply to either UI?

Were you expecting many changes to the Desktop in Windows 8.1?

Bruce
    I wasn't expecting any changes to the Desktop, since Microsoft seems to consider the Desktop past its prime (even though the Desktop is currently the only way to run Microsoft's other cash cow, Office).

What I was expecting was pretty much in line with Ed's article, more push for the Metro UI, and to me, that is definitely Apps.

In my digging around in the registry to figure out how to carve up Windows 8 to suit me, plus the fact that StartIsBack uses native code to display the Start Button and Start Menu, it became fairly obvious to me that the Metro UI is more-or-less glued on. Windows 8 is more like Windows 7 Service Pack 2 (with a pay no attention to the operating system underneath Wizard of Oz quality).

Ed's article is primarily concerned with the glued-on parts, not so much Windows 8's guts.

And I don't see any possibility that they'll ever get Office sold as a touch-only suite. Do you?

And those last two open in the App (Start) Screen, but it's possible that the biometric would open in the Desktop, since booting directly to the desktop has been officially unhidden.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I wasn't expecting any changes to the Desktop, since Microsoft seems to consider the Desktop past its prime (even though the Desktop is currently the only way to run Microsoft's other cash cow, Office).
    I've read that Microsoft is currently working on a Modern UI version of Office.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I've read that Microsoft is currently working on a Modern UI version of Office.

Jerry
    Pieces, at least. I want to see someone fingerpaint a complex Excel spreadsheet with lots of macros.

The classic Desktop will be around in Windows for a great many years to come.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Tablet = consume content
    Desktop = create content

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Tablet = consume content
    Desktop = create content
    Indeed, in general; I have no objections if autonomy is maintained. I've always thought the convertibles are a good idea even when Microsoft tried to float that boat back in the early XP days. Build a funky OS and they will make the hardware. I suppose there is still a "hefty" price to pay for a convertible vs. a pure tablet but one gets a heck of a lot more functionality as well.

In my mind its still just limited to mobility though. At home a Windows media center PC or standalone media player is for consumption and those are better controlled with a remote or my wonderful Logitech M310s which work reliably from 10 ft., maybe more. I don't think even Manute Bol's wingspan was close to 10 ft.

Keep touch confined to where if belongs and is appropriate and it's a fine concept. Why doesn't Ed Bott see it as a value-add technology instead of as a replacement or substitution technology?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post

Why doesn't Ed Bott see it as a value-add technology instead of as a replacement or substitution technology?
    Don't know. Does it really matter?