2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

copy file w/tree

Is there a way in Explorer to copy files and the associated tree structure at the same time?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: copy file w/tree

Sure. It's easiest if you get both the source folder and the destination folder (or drive) visible at the same time. Then, just drag and drop the folder where you want it. All of the files, the sub-folders, and their files will go along for the ride.

Good luck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm looking to copy either one or a select few files from a subdirectory along with the associated tree structure to another disk.

Back in the old days, this was a simple task with XTree. I do have a copy of Treecopy but it copies the entire structure of the branch without any files. Any suggestions?

ileacy

What about doing it with the DOS "XCOPY /S" or "XCOPY /S/E" command. Not explorer, but it should work.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In Explorer, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the items you want to copy. That should hilight just those items. Right click on any of the selected items and drag them (holding the RIGHT mouse button down) to the location where you want to copy them and release the right mouse button. When you release the right mouse button, you should get a pop-up menu. Select "Copy" from that menu. That should copy all of the items selected, and if any of those items are folders, all of the sub-folders.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's a great tip but still doesn't quite do what I'm looking for.

I'd like to select one or more files from within a subfolder (i.e c:@homeexpensesbudget.xls) and copy not only the file but the extire tree structure to drive A.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What tree structure do you want to copy? Files do not have tree structures, only directories do.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Use the MS-DOS command xcopy32 /e /t. That will copy the structure across, then copy the files you need.

Be very careful about using dos commands and programs such as XTree to copy data, you may end up stuffing up the names of all your files.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the file I'm copying is located in a subfolder, I'd like to re-create that subfolder and all the subfolders/folders its imbedded in back to the root. So in the example, c:@homeexpensesbudget.xls, when I copy budget.xls from the C drive to the A drive, I get a:@homeexpensesbudget.xls. BTW, I recognize that XCOPY will work but I don't want to work in DOS (too difficult and cumbersome with multiple files and long filenames). XTree could do this in a Windows environment.[img]/w3timages/icons/tonguea.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't know of any way to do that using Explorer. You would have to copy the lower level folders, including everything they contain.
    Legare Coleman

jmatt

This may be what you are looking for . TreeCopy from ,
    http://www.rjlsoftware.com/redir/treecopy.htm
    http://link