New Lounger
    Thanks

Live Mail (synched to SkyDrive) lost all messages twice

Live Mail (sync'ed to a Skydrive folder) has lost all its messages (a great many) for the *second* time in five days. What do I do?

It first gave a message -something like "cannot find the message/mail folder"-and then opened with all its message folders empty,and the many subfolders deleted.

This time I was prepared - immediately closed Live Mail & SKydrive - and so can partly explain, I think, what is happening.

The first time, Live Mail had simply wiped all the messages on my computer's Skydrive mail folder. But through fairly quick action, I managed to retrieve nearly all of them from *Microsoft's* Skydrive on the cloud.

I then had to laboriously over several hours, drag them back into Live Mail's folders, each of which had to be set up specially. (You can't,itseems, simply copy the old folders back en masse).

This second time, because I acted immediately, I can see nearly all the messages still there in my computer's Skydrive mail folder, although the Drafts subfolder has already been wiped of messages

I know though, from experience, that if I reopen Live Mail, it will proceed to wipe all the rest of the messages in that mail folder.

What appears to have happened is that, after the first disaster, Live Mail created a new email account folder inside my computer's Skydrive mail folder, and then, in re-synching with Skydrive in the cloud, which still had the old mail account folder,somehow got confused between the new and the old folders).

So what do I do now? (having of course backed up my messages)

If I repeat what I did - very laboriously copy back the messages into Live Mail folders - it will presumably lose them all over again, when I re-synch with the cloud Skydrive. I can't afford to lose so much time.

Could I somehow transfer the messages to Outlook (which I have, but have never used) or some other compatible email program? (Are there any?)

I need a safe email setup with Skydrive backup - and Live Mail seems to be extremely unsafe. How should I proceed?

Many thanks.

Thanks
    Hi ikbol,
    when I installed the Skydrive app on both my computers, its folder was set to be created on D: drive. I also keep 2 copys stored on external hdd's. This keeps them from being altered if I have to do a 'Restore' using Acronis.
    -
    This is how I manage my Emails. Mail Tips.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Thanks for tips - but your tips sheet AFAICT won't prevent WLM deleting your mail in sync with Skydrive - only help with restoration afterwards. What I'm learning from all this is that maybe sticking to Gmail, wh. is what my provider, Virginmedia/blueyonder, uses to store emails in the first place, is the simplest and safest.

The disadvantage AFAICT is as you say it's easier to compose emails on email progs. like WLM or Thunderbird,

But that may be countered by being able to access that gmail store on any computer direct through browser without a special prog.

Still thinking about this - so further comments welcome.

Thanks
    Hi ikbol,

To my way of thinking, their is no need to sync your mail with Skydrive. If it is, you will need WLM on the pc being used to access your SD folder's emails to be able to read them.
    As I previously stated, forwarding your mail to Gmail means you will never lose your messages if set as in my pdf.
    If I get a message in WLM I want to keep, I open it then save it in .eml format, in one of my usb hdd's.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Still thinking. I need to keep some business email *folders* as records. Indiv. backing up emails to an external folder seems too complicated - altho. maybe if I could just drag the emails across... hmm.

The setup I'm trying at the mo is automatic backup of my blueyonder/gmail emails to outlook.com [ex hotmail]. Easy to setup.

What I'd ideally like is to backup just selected folders - not all the gunk emails you also get. This setup backs up everything.

I'm also trying Portable Thunderbird on my computer.

Def decided to get rid of WLM - it is v. clunky, and was constantly "crashing" - going into stuck mode for up to minutes.

All email setups/progs though seem to be slow getting into the email.

So still progressing towards an efficient setup

Comments welcome.

Thx

Thanks
    If WLM is set-up as I suggested, it works perfectly. Here's another method to save your mail. The Saved Mail folder can be put in your Skydrive folder. Never Lose Emails.pdf

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thx. Sure you can export WLM folders to another folder within your Skydrive folder -and that should be safe, but relatively laborious. You have to keep exporting.

The beauty in principle of setting WLM to save everything directly to a"mail" folder within your SKydrive folder, is that everything is automatic and automatically backed up, and you never have to think about it again - until as with me, it went haywire - and I suspect there is always that possibility with Skydrive.

Maybe a use of Task Scheduler can make it all automatic.

Thanks
    I opened one of my emails in WLM and saved it as .eml, I then uploaded it to my Skydrive. On clicking it, I set it to open with wlmail.exe and it opened my WLM inbox giving me access to all my mail.
    You could try changing the location of your storage folder in WLM to your Skydrive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thx - but that's how it all happened - I had set my WLM storage folder to Skydrive, wh. worked for a good while.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thx again - this has been helpful to talk - I may try reinstalling WLM with a brand new empty folder