Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 22

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox 22

Mozilla's constant updates have been a source of annoyance for some time. Mostly the fixes were necessary and behind the scenes, but in every version since 16 they've fixed things that weren't broken and removed functionality in the process. For instance, one used to be able to type something into a text box, go forward a screen and then go back and still find the text box there. This time the newest version clashed with one of my addons (taking a look at their feedback page is eye-opening, complaints are rolling in every 4 seconds) and I began getting error messages about any page that had a link to post whatever to Facebook as well. Still don't know which addon was the culprit, I first decided to rollback to version 21, but ended up just resetting and then adding back addon's one at a time. And the worst part is this version has adopted that infernal scroll wheel Chrome uses, when you scroll up or down a page, that thing pops up and zips you right past where you were going. It is the least helpful thing I've ever seen added to a browser. I live in hope they will stop fixing things that aren't broken, just to be doing something. Sigh...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gene,

I'm a bit lost with the part about the scroll wheel. I'm not having a problem with it in FF22 in either Win8 Pro or Win 7 HP SP-1.

FYI: if you are a RoboForm user you will notice the lack of the RF toolbar when you boot FF22. You need to download RF 9.0.0 and install to fix. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The 'error messages about any page that had a link to post whatever to Facebook' sounds like the new 'feature', the Social API: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Social_API?

Not sure about the other 'bugs'.

Maybe it's time you considered switching to Pale Moon: http://www.palemoon.org/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    And the worst part is this version has adopted that infernal scroll wheel Chrome uses, when you scroll up or down a page, that thing pops up and zips you right past where you were going.
    Do you mean the scroll wheel click to autoscroll or something else? If it's the former, I don't have a problem in either FF or Chrome but I have seen where the mouse wheel is too sensitive or weak and just rolling it forward or especially backward is enough to click and; weeeeee.

Thanks
    Problems with some moderately recent FF updates have led me to change my setting in Firefox to "NEVER check for updates" (Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Update). I figure that I read enough tech news to know when new updates come out, and I then wait to see whether there are any problems before I update (I've heard about several re FF 22, which is why I'm using 21).
    Last edited by cyberdiva; 2013-07-04 at 21:06.

Thanks
    I have to admit,Pale Moon is better for myself also.Of course this is just me.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Gene for bringing this up. I'm glad to see that others are as frustrated as I am with the almost monthly "updates" to FF. This time when I updated to 22, I lost the "Easy YouTube Downloader 6.8" extension that worked so nice and I really liked. I suppose I can hunt for another downloader extension, but it's getting to be a real pain. Had I known what was going to happen, I would have stayed with FF21. I complained to Mozilla about this too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Thank you Gene for bringing this up. I'm glad to see that others are as frustrated as I am with the almost monthly "updates" to FF. This time when I updated to 22, I lost the "Easy YouTube Downloader 6.8" extension that worked so nice and I really liked. I suppose I can hunt for another downloader extension, but it's getting to be a real pain. Had I known what was going to happen, I would have stayed with FF21. I complained to Mozilla about this too.
    Have you tried DownloadHelper? It works great with YouTube and almost all video sites.

http://www.downloadhelper.net/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Have you tried DownloadHelper? It works great with YouTube and almost all video sites.

http://www.downloadhelper.net/
    Have you tried that with FF22?

Their site states

What version of Firefox do I need to run DownloadHelper ?

DownloadHelper works on Firefox 4.x to 19.0. It's likely to work on next versions.
    Note the wod likely. Addons and FF do break for fun due to the crazy update schedule they have.
    Last edited by Browni; 2013-07-15 at 23:28.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Have you tried that with FF22?

Their site states

Note the wod likely. Addons and FF do break for fun due to the crazy update schedule they have.
    Yes, I just used it and it works.

Thanks
    IIRC all addons had to specify which version of FF they were valid for. So, for example, when it went from V 5.0 to 5.9 , it would say valid for version 5 and all would be OK. Has the problem of seemingly invalid addons been caused by the fact that FF now updates with new version numbers rather than subversions and people can't keep up with the necessary changes to the highest version their addon is valid for? Or is this now being done in a new way?

Just a thought

p.s. why would the Doctor use the internet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    IIRC all addons had to specify which version of FF they were valid for. So, for example, when it went from V 5.0 to 5.9 , it would say valid for version 5 and all would be OK. Has the problem of seemingly invalid addons been caused by the fact that FF now updates with new version numbers rather than subversions and people can't keep up with the necessary changes to the highest version their addon is valid for? Or is this now being done in a new way?

Just a thought

p.s. why would the Doctor use the internet?
    That sounds like it could be the case.

p.s. that's from the first Doctor Who episode of series seven part two. Aliens were getting into the wi-fi.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Kala, I looked at the link you gave and a few others. I'm really hoping the Easy YouTube Downloader will get updated sometime soon. As I said, this addon was fast, flexible, and I really liked it. I tried removing it and reinstalling it again but it says "not compatible with FF22". A real bummer. Hope Mozilla gets it together soon!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Thank you Kala, I looked at the link you gave and a few others. I'm really hoping the Easy YouTube Downloader will get updated sometime soon. As I said, this addon was fast, flexible, and I really liked it. I tried removing it and reinstalling it again but it says "not compatible with FF22". A real bummer. Hope Mozilla gets it together soon!
    You're welcome. Hope you can find something that works for you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am also very happy using PaleMoon for my primary browser. It tends to lag the FireFox updates by one or two is usually MUCH more stable as a result. Most FireFox extensions run on it, and it is tuned for Windows as well.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal, it's the real thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast