Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP no-sound laptop

Hi all, I need some help please. My sons Laptop, Acer Aspire 5500Z was so slow, but it had sound then, that I installed XP home SP2 again after removing the older installation. All went well it is now very fast and working but no windows or other sounds. Control panel Sounds and Audio devices says " no audio device". I went to the Acer site and downloaded their Audio driver, Connextant. Installed it but it says installation failed. Since then I found out that Acer Aspire uses AC 97 sound. I downloaded it but have not,as yet, installed it for fear of it messing up the good running Laptop. Also I downloaded a generic XP sound driver XP Guru R 270. Have not installed it either yet. Would anyone know what the problem might be? The Acer Partitions had been wiped previously by someone and they are not available anymore. I did not think that this should be a big issue but it is for me anyway. There is a Acer chip download on their website could the sound component be part of that. As the Acer safety/ recover software is no longer there is this going to be a problem again after installing this driver, with the very slow running of XP? Any help would be appreciated. Regards Peter

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I would try downloading and installing the chipset driver. It would be wise to make a restore point FIRST - better yet, make an image before trying any more driver installations.

Rich

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rich, thank you for the reply. I removed the Conexant drivers and installed the AC 97 one and all is well. The sound is back. The conexant drivers certainly made the Laptop run slow. I guess it was because all of the Acer back up data had been removed from the partition on the C: drive. Thanks again. Regards Peter

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petrox View Post
    Hi all, I need some help please. The Acer Partitions had been wiped previously by someone and they are not available anymore. I did not think that this should be a big issue but it is for me anyway.
    Peter,
    Hello.... The "Image" that Rich was referring to ( Guessing) was a Full System Image ..using a 3rd party Imaging software like Macrium Reflect Free If you have a Image of your XP OS you do not need the Recovery Partition that was installed from "Acer" .. It's a "Snapshot" in time of your entire OS ....everything ... So in the event of a problem ,you can just go back and recover to it. ...(in about 10 minutes or so) The removal of the "recovery partition" would have nothing to do with the sound problem... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Petrox!

Let me tell you that I have a LOT of experience doing Windows XP reinstalls on my old laptop, which uses AC97 for its audio driver.

This driver has undergone MANY updates since SP2, and some are only fully compatible with an SP3 system. No Windows Security Updates have been available for Windows XP SP2 in a long time, so I hope you never use that unpatched machine as your primary production machine, nor as your Internet computer.

Conexant may be the current Acer audio driver, but not for your original hardware, which you are still using. It's still AC97 and always will be.

This is the danger in doing driver updates to older hardware -- you never know whether the newer drivers are right for the hardware or the OS version on your computer.

One way to avoid this is never to do driver updates to hardware which is working well, especially if you aren't patching your old computer. That's Fred Langa's recommendation in many of his columns in Windows Secrets.

But if you feel you must update drivers, use a utility like DriverMax which can back up and roll back drivers, singly or altogether, using a single compressed folder which can be stored on external media or an external drive. Then, if anything goes wrong during a driver update, you have the means to roll back one or more drivers easily and quickly. If you have an unZIP utility (I use 7-ZIP) you can even decompress the DriverMax Archive and point Windows Device Manager to the folder for, say, Audio and have Windows do the driver rolllback from there. Provided Windows will boot. (Windows XP does not have its own built-in unZIP utility.)

I do not recommend downloading or installing driver updates recommended by DriverMax or any third-party utility. As Fred Langa has stated, even if the newer version will install, it seldom adds new functionality to old hardware. At worst, as you have discovered, a new driver can wreck the functionality of perfectly good older hardware.

I only recommend DriverMax for backing up, archiving and restoring (rolling back) drivers. Especially older versions which are no longer readily available from reputable sites for download.

This plus a recent System Image Backup can be very useful in a variety of Windows disasters. Or just to reinstall an older Windows installation to make it cleaner and faster than its current, gunked-up condition.

If the computer can handle a SP3 upgrade, installing SP3 while reinstalling could save some headaches. And then the Security Updates would be available -- for about ten more months, anyway.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-07-04 at 13:03.
    -- Bob Primak --