bdhmlh

Mice & Com Ports

I'm using W95 and my MS IntelliMouse is plugged into a 9-pin serial port (I assume). My modem is using Com3. I also have a 25-pin port I assume is Com2. When I check Device Manager, it tells me I have a Com2 and Com3, but does not mention Com1. Should there be a Com1 and is that where my mouse is plugged in? When I plug my Palm into the 25-pin port and try to HotSync, it tells me Com2 is not available. Can anyone give me a direction to look for answers? by the way, this is a not a brand name computer.

Thanks.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mice & Com Ports

Hi
    At the back of your computer should be three 'out' ports.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

MerC explained it pretty thoroughly but I wanted to add one additional point. You didn't specify whether or not you had an external modem, or an internal model. Internal modems will typically create a COM3 or COM4 for use, but it's not a physical hardware port.

Thus, if you have an internal modem, that would explain COM3, and indicates that COM1 is disabled either in Device Manager or the BIOS.

MerC, I've had some weirdo things happen with my IntelliMouse using the USB connection - erractic pointer behavior, namely - that I do not encounter when using it with the supplied PS/2 adapter. Ever have anything like that happen?
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yup. It takes a while to tame it down. It never was as happy in Win98 as in XP. I reckon it might be improved USB/ HID drivers. In 9x it's down to IRQ shortage; 2k and XP don't use them, as the PCI steerring takes care of it.
    I prefer USB - you can pull the plug without causing damage. You can't do that with PS/2.

bdhmlh

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm still drawing a blank. My modem is internal and configured to Com3. In Device Manager, only COM2 and COM3 (& LPT1) are listed.

COM2 uses IRQ3 with I/O Range of 02F8 - 02FF.
    COM3 uses IRQ5 with I/O Range of 03E8 - 03EF.

Any ideas how I can find out which COM port my mouse is using and if I have a free one to plug something else in? At the back of the box, I have the LPT1 port, a 9-pin port the mouse is plugged into, and a 25-pin port I can't seem to get anything to work with.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What is the type of connection on your mouse plug? Is it a PS/2? If it is a PS/2 it is a small round plug. PS/2 have their own IRQ.

You might go into device manager in the control panel and ADD COM 1. You can also see how the mouse set up here.

Thanks

If it is any help, serial ports are 'male' - i.e. you will see the pins - and parallel ports are 'female' - you will see only holes.
    Depending on the age and manufacturer of your mb, you could have:
    One 9-pin serial port (M) and one 25-pin parallel port (F).
    One 9-pin serial port (M), one 25-pin serial port (M) and one 25-pin parallel port (F).
    Two 9-pin serial ports (M) and one 25-pin parallel port (F).

You will also occasionally see 15-pin connectors which are for joysticks.