New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I create a batch file using visual basic syntax?

I am working on a project that allows users to create encrypt and decrypt their video files on a camera sd card.
    Can I create a file using visual basic and convert the vb file to batch file with *.bat extension?
    Batch file syntax is quite assembly-like language to me and I am more familiar with visual basic syntax.
    Is it possible?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

P.S : Can I create a batch file using ruby, which is another language that I am working on?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To point out a bit of possible confusion, Visual Basic is not the same thing as Visual Basic for Applications (the subject of this forum). Your question really belongs in the Windows Programming forum.

You really can't make a batch file with Visual Basic. The batch file interpreter would have no idea what to do with any of the VB statements. What you can do instead is compile the VB program to make an executable (*.exe) file, and the batch file can then call the executable by just including its path and file name.

The situation is exactly the same for Ruby, with the added complication that you'll first have to get a Ruby compiler which is not that common. See http://patshaughnessy.net/2012/2/15/...ed-or-compiled.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can create a 'batch' file in vbscript saved as a plain text file with a .vbs suffix. This can then be run from a command prompt if you want to run it the way you normally run batch scripts.

A good place to start is doing a google search for the "The Scripting Guys"
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can create a VBS file, e.g. encrypt.vbs, then run it from a batch file, e.g.
    @cscript //nologo encrypt.vbs

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for the answers. Thank you for the ruby resources and script guy.
    Have a good weekend.