New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Latest Nvidia driver causing severe graphics driver problems

Hi
    This morning my nvidia software alerted me to an update.
    This update is for "This is the launch driver for the newly released GeForce GTX 760." but still has my 9600 GSO card listed as Supported.
    Install failed during Driver install, windows then attempted to install driver.Outcome was i had to do Sys restore. Tried installing again and same response.
    After a second restore i discovered that Java had gone from system.
    A friends machine with same OS worked Fine.
    Has anybody else had this problem

System
    Asus M2N SLI Deluxe
    Amd Quad core 2.2 Ghz
    8 GB DDR2 ram
    Nvidia 9600 GSO (currently just a single card)
    Creative PCI-E Soundblaster
    Windows 7 Pro (64)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH61 View Post
    Hi
    This morning my nvidia software alerted me to an update.
    This update is for "This is the launch driver for the newly released GeForce GTX 760." but still has my 9600 GSO card listed as Supported.
    Install failed during Driver install, windows then attempted to install driver.Outcome was i had to do Sys restore. Tried installing again and same response.
    John,
    Hello... I also have and use NVIDIA drivers ...on my Win 7 \ 64 multi boot PC.. I am not a "gamer" so for me there is no reason to "Update" "Graphics Drivers" .. but let me explain my paradigm

I have tried and used most of the NVIDIA offerings on my systems... for me there was no benefit to doing so ...and for a "plain jane" PC user (me) there is no reason to... I run a old version ( 197.45) and all my OS's run fine ...Just make sure that you have your NVIDIA control panel 3d -settings set for "Max Performance" Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-07-02 at 09:39.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had that happen in the past, not recently. When one download package is being used to support so many cards, the probability that it won't be appropriate for every card listed increases. In my particular case, it was installing additional driver components that were not in the card I had.

Thanks
    If you absolutely HAVE to update a GPU driver, at least uninstall the old one before doing so.
    This is definitely one of those situations in driver-Dom where the saying; "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.

GPU drivers will also often come bundled with other CRAP that most people will never use. If you don't need the extras, don't install them
    along with the actual driver.

ALWAYS make an image of your system prior to upgrading [especially] a GPU driver. They are by far one of the most problematic of all the driver installs.

I've got two Nvidia driver versions ahead of the current one on my system, but everything is fine, so no need to even consider updating.
    Update only if you have an issue, and try to make an attempt to look through the update's change log, or purported fix, to see if it actually applies to your situation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There are only two occasions that I believe warrant updating a graphics driver.

1 - you are having a display problem that you can definitely attribute to the driver

2 - you have a new version of Windows. Graphics drivers are frequently updated after a Windows release. Even then if you are not having problems don't update.

See the third paragraph in Clint's post #4 above.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    There are only two occasions that I believe warrant updating a graphics driver.
    Joe,

Hello...There is another (reason) that is lost on those of us who are not "gamers" ...Nvidia releases "Updates " for specific Games \ Game enhancements, thats why i mentioned "Gaming" to the OP in my response #2. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)