New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Win7 does not recognize dvd/cd burner/rom

My DVD burner has stopped working So I bought a new one but that won't work either. I even tried an external DVD burner and that won't work either. When I check the properties I get the following message:
    "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

Win7 will not let me re-install and System Restore says it cannot go back to when the problem occured. The current DVD burner is a Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280s ATA. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Armac, hello.
    The first step here is to get into your BIOS and see if the devices are seen. If they are, it shows a driver problem. If they are not seen in BIOS, use the facilities to install them. There is normally in most BIOS, a "detect" option.
    Should BIOS show them properly, then it is a driver problem, you will need to do a "Repairs" using the OS CD. OOOpps ! You can not see them. Copy them to a USB key and load from it. Get back here after you have more information. You might have to do a full re-install, that would be the easy way ie: straight forward. Did you do a clone when the machine was running fine ? A clone back would solve your problem. I had this problem last week but I was able to do a Restore, saved my neck. I still do not know why I lost the DVD ! Things happen. When you went looking into Restore, did you see the : Show more points ? Maybe you did not have Restore running in the first place. ???? . Jean.

Thanks
    Try opening Device Manager. Double Click on your DVD drive to get to properties. Click on the Driver tab and see if Roll Back Driver is not grayed out. If So, click on it to roll back to the previous driver.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, a fine day to you.
    If the thing is greyed out, will it respond to a click from the moose ?

Thanks
    No. If its greyed out, its an indication that you don't have an older driver to roll back to. The "moose" is out of luck.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi folks. Thank you for all your replies and advice/suggestions. Apparently I have installed some software which is causing the problem. So, I have removed sevral progs but to no avail. The conflict(?) still exists. For some reason Win7 Pro will not let me re-install (from USB drive). Frustration rules the day just now. Might be as well fitting a new hard drive, installing windows on that and setting that as my primary drive. Either that or just bin the existing drive and start again with a new one.

Thanks again,

Ray

PS the drive is visible in BIOS and in device manager. Have run several anti-virus and antimalware suites and nothing found.
    Last edited by Armac2012; 2013-07-14 at 08:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may find you are suffering from an old registry issue which has been around since XP where some of the filter drivers get damaged when CD burning software is added or removed. MS have a fixit here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

New Lounger
    Thanks
    gmac9,

I did try that some time ago and it dod not work. Still, I decided to have another go and it still didn't work. So I followed the advice in the article and did a manual delete in the registry.

I am now listening to DInah Washington being played on my DVD/CD ROM drive! Fantastic.

Thank you all very much your help has been invaluable. Have you ever seen a 63 year old, overweight male dancing around in his loft? No, I won't post the video. Thanks guys. You are stars.

Ray