Lounger
    Thanks

Question Firefox 22 Giving Me Nightmares. How to roll it back?

I updated to Firefox22 before I got the official pop-up from them asking me to do it. What a mistake!! First, every page is 5 times normal size, so I'm constantly having to zoom out multiple times (and it never keeps those settings for the next time). I also can't access some websites at all, and others give me limited accessibility, e.g., Facebook shows only a few new posts by others, won't respond to the "Show More Posts" button, and won't show anyone's comments or allow me to comment on anything.

Others have posted here and on other sites about rolling back Firefox to previous versions, but never say how to do it, and I'm clueless. Please help!!

I don't like Chrome, because on every computer I use, it renders print fuzzily, but that's another issue.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukki007 View Post
    I updated to Firefox22
    Others have posted here and on other sites about rolling back Firefox to previous versions, but never say how to do it, and I'm clueless. Please help!!
    Sukki,
    Hello... FileHippo shows most all previous downloads available for Firefox ..... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-07-02 at 20:08.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you. Do I need to remove 22 before installing 21?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukki007 View Post
    Thanks to both of you. Do I need to remove 22 before installing 21?
    Sukki,
    Hello... No, you can just run the installer and it will "roll back" to the older version... Done this many times ... After you do this check on the Firefox "Options Tab" just to make sure that everything is set up the way you want Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

JimW1938 (2013-07-17),Sukki007 (2013-07-03)

Thanks
    I thought I'd mention that I've had Firefox set to NEVER check for updates (as shown in Plain Fred's screenshot), and that has always worked...until now. However, a few days ago I opened Firefox 21 and found it in the process of downloading Firefox 22! I tried to stop the download, but ultimately it succeeded in downloading and installing Firefox 22. I hated it!!--it screwed up many of my settings, changed my startpage to Mozilla, changed my plug-ins, removed all my icons on my toolbar, changed which toolbars were selected, etc. etc. etc. It took me a while to get Firefox 22 to be the way I had set up Firefox 21 (and previous versions). I'm posting this message simply to warn that setting Firefox to never check for updates may no longer work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdiva View Post
    I thought I'd mention that I've had Firefox set to NEVER check for updates (as shown in Plain Fred's screenshot), and that has always worked...until now. However, a few days ago I opened Firefox 21 and found it in the process of downloading Firefox 22!
    [...snipped...]
    I'm posting this message simply to warn that setting Firefox to never check for updates may no longer work.
    I've noticed the same behavior as cyberdiva. It's happened to me three times now. FF14 got updated to FF17, 17 got updated to 19, and 19 just got updated to 22. In each case, I had meticulously made sure it was set to NEVER check for updates, yet it still did so without my permission, and at each occurrence it took me a long time to straighten out the mess and fix what the update broke.

When it updated itself to 22 last week I'd finally had enough of this nonsense. When I tell it not to check for updates, that means DO NOT UPDATE!! So I rolled back to a prior OS image. I probably could have just uninstalled and reinstalled from the old installer I had saved, but can you tell I was flaming mad?! Restoring a prior image is the symbolic equivalent of throwing the computer out the window.

After getting my old FF back, I went through about:config and found a setting called "app.update.service.enabled", which was set to "true" even though my Options/Update is clearly set to "Never check for updates". That doesn't seem right.

I also found two settings that appeared to be URLs to Mozilla's update servers, "app.update.url" and "app.update.url.details". I munged both so that if it ignores my wishes again, hopefully it won't be able to find the update servers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

cyberdiva (2013-07-29)

Thanks
    Using old browser versions means using an insecure browser; while it may be 'acceptable' to lag by one or two Firefox versions until a vital Add-on is updated, any more is raising your chances of becoming infected by 'drive-by' malware sites and 'malvertising'.

You might like to try out Pale Moon as an alternative/complementary browser; although Firefox -based, it doesn't strictly follow the Mozilla update cycle, it also doesn't include things that aren't needed for a web browser (if they can be safely removed); it does backport security fixes from current Firefox versions, when and if they also apply to Pale Moon. Also, it uses it's own profile, meaning you can use it alongside Firefox. http://www.palemoon.org/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    [part omitted] After getting my old FF back, I went through about:config and found a setting called "app.update.service.enabled", which was set to "true" even though my Options/Update is clearly set to "Never check for updates". That doesn't seem right.

I also found two settings that appeared to be URLs to Mozilla's update servers, "app.update.url" and "app.update.url.details". I munged both so that if it ignores my wishes again, hopefully it won't be able to find the update servers.
    After reading dg1261's interesting message, I went to check my about:config file. I found three relevant settings that were listed in bold as having been changed to False by the user (i.e., me): app.update.auto, app.update.enabled, and app.update.service.enabled. So at least for now, it seems that FF will not automatically update. Knock on wood. I also found the update URLs that dg1261 mentioned. I decided to leave them alone . . . for now.
    Last edited by cyberdiva; 2013-07-29 at 10:20.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Using old browser versions means using an insecure browser; while it may be 'acceptable' to lag by one or two Firefox versions until a vital Add-on is updated, any more is raising your chances of becoming infected by 'drive-by' malware sites and 'malvertising'.
    A browser that works is more useful to me than a browser that's broken. The updates often seem to break something, and it often seems to happen when I'm busy and don't have time to stop and fool around with the nonsense. Let me update when *I* want to--that's why I set the option to "never check for updates" in the first place. If it's going to ignore the setting, then why offer the setting at all?

As for browser versions, I was much more comfortable with FF when version numbers jumped by points or whole integers depending on how significant the change was. Nowadays it's harder to tell what's important and what's just window dressing. I thought it was a huge mistake when FF changed their version numbering policy circa version 4.

As for my chances of becoming infected because of an older browser, I'm confident I'm safer with a browser I've carefully locked down the way I want rather than one that keeps shifting under me. Most of my websurfing is also done via tools like Sandboxie or virtual machines, but that's all beside the point. The point is I want to be able to update when *I* decide. Don't give me the option and then ignore it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm... I'm not seeing any of these problems, and I just confirmed that I'm on v22. That may explain, though, why all of a sudden every PDF file insists on being saved instead of opening in my PDF reader (which I directed because nothing's legible when using the add-on).