Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will Windows 8 and Office xp pro work together?

I'm running both together but am having minor problems. I get a pop up, Office Assistant requires MS Agent 2.0 or later. It's available on the Office System Pack.
    I click OK and Word will begin to function in Outlook as my email program. Can I install MS Agent 2.0 and how do I find it? (No, I can't afford a new Office right now)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301990

Maybe method one or method 3, but who knows if that will actually work with Win 8 or not; just have to try and see I guess.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Method 3 came back with an invalid or corrupt signature. Method 1 at the end gave me a pop up. "This system does not require any system file updates to run Microsoft Office Professional; the System Files Update will not run on this computer."

Thanks for trying.
    plumber

Thanks
    Office XP is pretty old. People have had varying success installing it with Win 8, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went to the Microsoft store because I can't copy/paste an address from the address bar as a link. It only pastes as text. Win8 and Office work without problem at the store. I'm sure this pop up is just another minor glitch that I will have to live with due to age and some incompatibility. Pop ups are just sort of annoying.
    Like me, xp is getting old. Guess there's nothing left to do but break out the rocking chair, sit on the porch and reminisce about the good ole days. "Gull durn it! Xp twern't broke. Why did they have to go and fix it?"

Thanks to all,
    plumber

Thanks
    I know you didn't ask about Office 2003, but that's what I use in Windows 8, and it works perfectly. I never have any problems.

I use it only in Desktop mode, never from the Start screen, so I don't know how works there.

Thanks
    If you have a Word tile and click on it, it starts up in the desktop as normal. This is true of any desktop apps (as distinct to Win 8 apps). You can even have a directory shortcut on the start screen and clicking it opens file explorer, again on the desktop. I too use Office 2003, no problems at all (well only those created by me!).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As you pointed out, the wild card variable is me. Xp all in all is working fine except for the pop up which is really not a problem. I just wanted to eliminate it if possible. The failure to be able to copy/paste links from the address bar is the only real annoyance but at the MS store in Fashion Valley I had no problems. I've asked about it at Microsoft Forum and there has been no answer. I've found a MacGiver work around using Excel for that glitch.
    I have a Office tool bar that opens on my desktop that accesses Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access and have those four pinned to the task bar also. I avoid the App page that opens upon start up as much as possible.

Thanks
    plumber