Lounger
    Thanks

Excess internet data use - Windows 8

Hi all

Well after 7 years and 3 operating systems by desktop PC finally bit the dust last week and so I went out and bought a brand new desktop pc with Windows 8 installed.

Since then everything has run relatively smoothly except I have noticed I appear to be using a large amount of data each day from my internet allowance.

Over the last 5 days that I have had the new pc, I am averaging around 850mb of data use (up and download) per day which is about 300 to 400mb more then I have been. My monthly data plan is only 15gb so am keen to get my data usage back to a reasonable level.

So I am assuming this might be something to do with Windows 8 and or the various programs/apps that came installed on the system. I have also added several programs including Microsoft Office 2003, Chrome, Karens Replicator, VirtualDub, Quicken, iTunes and uTorrent (which I haven't used yet).

Initially I removed the mail/calendar app that came with the system but since then have actually uninstalled it as I had read this could be the problem (I use gmail via Chrome for all my email). I have also stopped any of the 'live' tiles.

So I am at a loss as to what it might be and am hoping someone may have some suggestions to try or even a program I could use to show where my data is being used.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Cheers

Dax

Thanks
    You could try Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../bb896653.aspx). There's a bit of a learning curve, but once set up should help.

Have you got any desktop apps (as distinct from tiled apps)? I have one which suddenly started downloading data constantly. Emailing the provider evinced the news that there is an issue (but they haven't fixed it yet). I found out about this because I use a broadband meter (see http://www.thinkbroadband.com/).
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2013-07-03 at 05:13.

Thanks
    Many apps like to phone home for automatic updates. I have stopped ALL the automatic updating using What's In Startup or looking through the apps options and preventing this form of activity. I actually let few apps start with Windows to minimize my resource usage.

I do not use very many of the Win 8 Style apps so I am unable to suggest changes with them other than stopping them from running when not using. Many of the apps have live tiles that are constantly receiving updates from their home sites. This "streaming" of live data will use a lot of your data plan.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information, I have downloaded both and will see what it shows up over the next few days.

Also not sure by what you mean about desktop apps. I have apps and some program shortcuts on the Start page and only program shortcuts on the desktop

Cheers
    Dax

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info on What's in Startup it reminded me that I had the JV16 Powertools installed on my old system so will grab that and see what shows up.

I did check and stopped any apps doing updates etc but will double check to make sure I didn't miss any.

Cheers

Dax

Thanks
    I suspect you will find the Live Tiles may be going, Weather, News, etc. This streaming of data can use a lot of data. I would check these to see if any are set to start with boot. Not really sure of the what's or how's of some of these as I do not use them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico, I did check to make sure none were starting when my pc started and there were a couple. I have now uninstalled all apps that I don't need and disabled all the ones that use live data, so will see how that goes over the next couple of days

Cheers
    Dax

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try this program to determine data consumption by app: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43713...-applications/.

A firewall can also help with this. My firewall lets me know how much data has been uploaded and downloaded by any of the running apps.

There is nothing like hard data. It sure beats guessing .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can view app data download usage on the App history tab of Task Manager (by right-clicking task bar).

By clicking the Network or Tile update column headers, that can be sorted in heaviest to lightest amounts.

I don't think Calendar or Mail will use much at all, but News and Weather apps do seem to use the most.

It may be possible to set your connection as metered to reduce the data downloading:

How to Set or Unset a Wireless Network as a Metered Connection in Windows 8

Then you can set an absolute limit to tile update data usage for each month:

How to Set a Data Usage Limit for Live App Tile Updates in Windows 8

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-07-03 at 09:56. Reason: added limit

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all

Thanks for all your assistance, it appears is was a result of my lack of understanding with Win8 live tiles and how they continually update/refresh. Guess if and when the next new Windows version comes out I'll need to make sure I understand what is happening behind the scenes...LOL

Cheers

Dax

Thanks
    Like I said, live tiles will almost continually stream info to your PC so that you have the absolute latest info available. Unfortunately this also adds to your data usage.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted