Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The Instruction At....Referenced Memory At...

When I shut down my friend's computer a few minutes ago a window popped up saying something along the lines of " The instruction at ...... referenced memory at .......The instruction could not be read. Close program".

I appreciate this is vague, but the message disappeared before I had a chance to write down the error number or take a screen shot.

My friend's computer runs Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

Can fellow loungers give me any advice as to what can be done about this?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That's likely an app problem. Have a look in Event Viewer to see if you can find which app is causing it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, when I tried to open Event Viewer I got the following messages:

1.MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.

The options for this were either to report this error to Microsoft and then shut down MMC, or unload the snap-in and continue running.(Whichever I chose made no practical difference).

2.MMC could not create the snap-in. It might not have been installed correctly.

CLSID:FX:{bo5566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

I ran sfc \scannow but no integrity violations were found.

What can I try to solve this problem?

Advice would be appreciated.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    When I shut down my friend's computer a few minutes ago a window popped up saying something along the lines of " The instruction at ...... referenced memory at .......The instruction could not be read.

My friend's computer runs Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.
    royw,

Hello... The message that says "referenced memory" and "instruction could not be read" sounds like a RAM (Memory problem) If you did the "sfc /scannow" and it did not find any errors this would be a clue that would point to one ( or more) of your memory sticks being bad ...

1. First try re-seating them ...see what happens..

2. Try running "memtest86" Free Version...several passes.. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-07-06 at 15:19.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, the first link ends with a "the page cannot be displayed" error message. Regarding the second link, I followed the instructions to enter a new Path in Environment Variables, but that didn't work.

Fred, I ran the Windows memory test, which found no problems. (I did not have time to run memtest86).

I then used the Fred Langa repair install routine, which worked perfectly for everything else, but I still have the same problem with Event Viewer!

I mentioned in my OP that this problem relates to my friend's computer. In fact the lady is not just my friend but my partner, but we are facing a much bigger problem now in that she was rushed into hospital 2 days ago because her kidneys have stopped functioning. I am spending as much time with her as the hospital allows, and have no enthusiasm for computers for now, but only came back to the forum to try to take my mind off things temporarily. I would still like further advice on the Event viewer problem, but may not get back to the forum for a few days.

Having said that, system 32 has the following files relating to Event Viewer:

eventcreate.exe
    Event Viewer_Event Details.xsl
    eventvwr.exe
    evntvwr.msc
    evntagnt.dll
    evntcmd.exe
    evntwin.exe

Would it be worth deleting them and replacing them with copies from my Win 7 Pro computer, to see if that solves the problem?

Please advise.

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    The first link opens fine for me.

From what I could gather from the links, this is a configuration issue, so replacing exe files is not likely to solve anything.

I don't think you have a memory issue. The error message simply means that the specific app in question has a bug that causes it to access memory it is not allowed to access, which is quite a common situation in non managed windows apps (apps that do not use the .net framework).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, a very common program termination error but I don't know what the problem with event viewer might be.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The computer concerned restarted following installation of several Windows updates, and a message during the shutdown process indicated that the faulting app was Windows Explorer. Can I try uninstalling/reinstalling Explorer, and if so how?

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows Explorer is part of the OS and it cannot be uninstalled. If this occurred once, I would say there are no reasons to be worried about it. If it gets repeated, then you need to determine the causes and act on them.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    There are several possible solutions given at:
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/in...d-not-be-read/

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My partner's machine developed other issues as well, so after creating an up to date image I performed a clean reinstall of Windows 7 and selectively restored files from the Macrium image.

I am pleased to say that the machine is now working well, with no memory, Event Viewer or other problems.

Thanks for all the replies.

Roy Whitethread