4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live essentials screwed up my laptop

My desktop computer (running Win 7 Pro, SP 1) came with Windows Live Essentials installed (Mail, Messenger, Movie Maker, Photo Gallery).
    My laptop (Sony VAIO running the same OS) did not.
    So I went to the Microsoft site (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=3945) and downloaded Windows Live Essentials so that I could install it on my laptop. After the installation, my problems started. The laptop blue-screened on the next boot after the installation. I used Sony's recovery features, and even tried to go back to an earlier restore point, but the system never fully recovered, sometimes blue-screening, sometimes (as in after using a restore point) just acting flakey. I finally had to use the recovery partition to format the hard drive and bring it back to factory original condition. Works fine now (but I definitely will not try to install Live Essentials again).
    Oddly enough, on the next re-boot of my DESKTOP computer after installing Essentials on my laptop, it also blue-screened. I was able to recover from that without having to use the recovery partition (a few attempts at old restore points appears to have corrected that).
    I don't believe in coincidences, but I can't figure out why the problem occurred on the desktop computer. The two computers were networked at the time, and shared some folders; maybe that had something to do with it.
    So, after this long story, I finally get to my question: can anyone explain why this happened?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    More information about the blue screens would be helpful. What was the error code? What was the offending piece of software?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the error code (frankly, I didn't care at the moment).
    The offending piece of software was, without a doubt, Windows Live Essentials. All my other software played nicely together, and, in fact was in large part the same software that I use on my desktop. In fact, Windows Live plays nicely with my other software on my desktop. If the new kid on the block doesn't fit into the neighborhood, he's the offending kid, in my opinion. The question to ask is, what's different about this neighborhood?

Thanks
    Without the error codes, I suspect that no one will be able to give you an answer. The vast majority of Windows users do not have a problem with Windows Live Essentials. There have been reports of Windows Live Messanger issues:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...ws-blue-screen

If you want to investigate further, you could try making an image backup so you can return to your current state in case of the same crash and then install Security Essentials without Messenger. The setup program should allow you to select only the parts you want to install. If you are done with Essentials, then I don't suspect you will get any good answers as to the source of the crash.

Jerry

Thanks
    I believe you can install all of them separately too. Start with one and go from there. Might help narrowing it down.

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys. Actually, I only installed (or tried to install) Movie Maker and Photo Gallery. Come to think of it, I think I actually got the download from this site, windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials, which apparently downloads a program called Windows Essentials, rather than Windows Live Essentials (even though it has Windows Live in the URL). Are these in fact different downloads?
    In any case, since I rarely use these programs, I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie, and not attempt to reinstall them.
    And yes, since this episode, I have imaged the disk using the Windows 7 Backup & Restore program, and I made a Win 7 rescue disk (it was always my intention to do this after I had completed my initial setup, which, unfortunately included installing Windows Live Essentials). I also have Acronis True Image. Any opinions on which is the better program to use?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Les,

I'd go with Acronis. Windows 7 B&R is the best MS has put out but still can't hold a candle to the paid apps like Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or EaseUS ToDo Backup or even the free versions of the last two! IMHO HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    Thanks, I'll use Acronis.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, tried to backup using Acronis (from the boot media - I haven't installed Acronis on either of my computers).
    While Acronis works just fine on my desktop computer, my Sony laptop won boot into the program. I get the following error message:

Failed to detect graphic output mode.

Of course, my True Image 2012 is now out of warranty, and Acronis does not provide free phone support. I tried their support forum, but received no answers yet.

I'm thinking that because my laptop has true HD capabilities (it's running at 1980 x 1200, I believe), this older version of True Image can't operate in this mode.

Until I have a solution, I think I'll stick with Windows Backup for my laptop.

Thanks
    Here's a detailed thread about the TI "failed to detect graphic output mode" problem. One answer is to go into the BIOS under boot options and change from UEFI to Legacy. TI 2012 has issues with UEFI.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks for your reply.
    If you meant to show a link to the TI thread, I can't find it. Can you please provide it?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Oops. Sorry about that. Here's the link:
    http://forum.acronis.com/forum/33773

Jerry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

LesF (2013-07-10)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. That thread apparently holds the solution, although it's kind of a work-around. I'll try it next time I make a disk image.
    Hopefully, Acronis will update their boot media ISO to fix this issue, but I seriously doubt it - they haven't made any new builds for TI2012 in a long time.