New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8's Worst Undiscussed Problem-A Productivity Tool Degraded

I am a typical laptop user. When I'm working on a technical problem related to my profession and bump into a roadblock I used to drop into that prime Productivity Tool, Solitaire. A quick game would clear my brain, and perhaps an epiphany would occur that would tell me how to get past that roadblock. I'd never play a trivial, non-challenging game like Solitaire for entertainment, but it was valuable for giving me a quick break with a mindless task that could get me out of a rut on a Serious Problem. Part of Solitaire's appeal was I could jump into and out of it rapidly.

There is no "quick game" in Win 8! It takes forever to load off the Cloud. It then wants me to register to compete against other people. I'd rather do it in private, thank you. If I happened to reboot since I last used it, it takes even more time to ask me do I want the latest XBOX update? I don't have XBOX. I don't want XBOX. If I ever changed my mind about a need for such a product I would get one of XBOX's non-MS competitors. If XBOX can constantly harass me when I am not a user, I can only imagine how many other unsolicited marketing messages I'd get if I were a registered user. These unsolicited sales pitches happen every doggone time I stop for a quickie game. This has to be the classic example of how not to get people to want to try your product.

I have an aversion about buying Apps to replace a free App, but Solitaire may cause me to change my mind. I'd rather have a version stored on my disk, and not have to go to the Cloud to start a game. The App I'd gladly pay for now is one that would forever banish those messages about "Shouldn't you update to the latest XBOX right now?" and "Why don't you compete against others?".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If this was truly Win 8's biggest problem, there would be many fewer rants about it.

Just go online and download either Solitaire by itself or as part of a package.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't say it was the worst problem, I said it was the worst undiscussed problem. I'm afraid that if I download a freebie I'll get my name on lists for endless spam and unsolicited popups. I suspect you get the same placing on spam and popup lists even when you pay for a game. Is there a site one can go to for downloads without getting on lists for other product advertisements? Is there a way to tell MS "Enough already with the XBOX update notices"?

Thanks
    You can download the Microsoft Modorn Version of Solitaire from the Windows Store. The biggest drawback is that you need an Internet connection active to play it since its part of XBox games.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You can download the Microsoft Modorn Version of Solitaire from the Windows Store. The biggest drawback is that you need an Internet connection active to play it since its part of XBox games.

Jerry
    One can play Solitaire without logging into Xbox; simply click "Cancel" on the login screen, then select one's Solitaire game of choice. I prefer Klondike.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just went to the "Store" and installed the "Microsoft Solitaire Collection". and tried to play a game.

What a stinking pile!

Besides being so unresponsive as to make playing almost impossible anyway, They don't have the Solitaire game that I have been playing since at least XP, and I think since Windows 95.

If I switched to Windows 8 or 8.1, I would have to keep a VM with Windows XP or Windows 7, just to play the occasional game of Solitaire.

Thanks
    Jerry
    One can play Solitaire without logging into Xbox; simply click "Cancel" on the login screen, then select one's Solitaire game of choice. I prefer Klondike.
    I don't see a login screen because I think it automatically logos me in. I do see an Xbox user ID assigned to me and there is a noticeable delay before the app starts which I attribute to logging in to the server. I use Klondike as well and I use several other Xbox games like Minesweeper. They all show a noticeable startup delay since they log in to an Xbox server to allow you to play against others (which I never use) and keep statistics. Once logged in, i find game play response very good.

Jerry

Thanks
    After signing on once, the app can be left running in the background until you want to play another game. Takes little resources to just sit there. I usually have Free Cell and Mahjong sitting waiting for me to decide to play again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I do see an Xbox user ID assigned to me and there is a noticeable delay before the app starts which I attribute to logging in to the server.

Jerry
    I don't login to Windows with a Microsoft account, just a normal account. I don't need or use Sky Drive, nor play against anyone when I play Solitaire. I don't play any other games.

I use Outlook for all my email accounts, so I don't really have any reason for Windows to login to the Microsoft servers.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    After signing on once, the app can be left running in the background until you want to play another game. Takes little resources to just sit there. I usually have Free Cell and Mahjong sitting waiting for me to decide to play again.
    That works fine as long as I keep the laptop powered up. When i put it to sleep or hibernate, it logs into the XBox server again when I go to the app. I play five diffent XBox games. I know Microsoft states that Modern apps use few resources when not used for a period of time but old habits die hard. I always close a Modern app when I'm done with it.

Jerry

Thanks
    I suppose if you close them down (I'm pretty old with habits as well) you just have to wait the few seconds for the sign on. It only takes a few seconds for mine, and now I'm not on a particularly fast connection.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy