New Lounger
    Thanks

Organize button hangs when file selected in Windows Vista Explorer window

Here's a problem I can't find an answer to, and hope someone can help.

In Windows Vista SP2 (updates are current), if I open an Explorer window, select a file, and click on the Organize button with the goal of deleting a file, the drop-down menu from the Organize button never appears, the computer hangs, Explorer uses mega amounts of memory (as displayed in Task Manager), an alert window eventually appears with a message about C++ and the application being forced to close incorrectly, the Destktop icons and Taskbar completely disappear (the background image stays), and then the Desktop icons and Taskbar eventually reappear.

If I do not have any file selected, the Organize button will work and the drop-down menu appears as it normally would. But again, it's only if no file is selected.

This hanging behavior occurs in any Explorer window, but interestingly it does not happen with the Recycle Bin Organize button. There it will provide the drop-down menu and commands can be selected.

Other ways to delete a file from an Explorer window work as they should, such as right clicking the file and clicking Delete, or selecting the file and pressing the Delete key on the keyboard. I know either workaround is easier than finding an answer to the Organize button problem, but I would like to know what is going on and if there is a known solution.

This is a new behavior with this computer since 14 Windows Updates were installed on June 14. The idea of uninstalling all of them to see if the problem disappears and then putting them back one at a time to find the culprit is certainly not worth my time and effort or my client's money, especially since there are two workaround options she is happy with.

Thanks for any solutions, thoughts, and suggestions!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for the suggestion. Ran the scan from an elevated command prompt. It fixed a couple of miscellaneous problems that were not known and apparently not too important, but the scan did nothing to repair the Organize button. After rebooting, the sequence of events is still as I described.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Click Start, type eventvwr.msc and press ENTER. Select the "Application" log and see if there are any events registered during the time when Organize did not work.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Even though Explorer does not close try the steps in the second post at The Windows Explorer closes on selecting the "Organize" button on a folder. It has good troubleshooting steps for Windows Explorer.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for another source. I saw that post before, when I was searching in vain. A second user account had the same problem, and the fixit did nothing to fix it. I can't remember if I tried safe mode, but that's a good test if I didn't. Have not been back to see the client to pursue this further, so have not checked the event viewer info. Interesting how she likes my workarounds better than her original way of deleting files. Joe, your interest in this puzzle is most appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would check for any 3rd party software that "enhances" Windows Explorer. For example programs that when right clicking files give you new options.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce... When you say "check for..." do you mean uninstall any/all software that shows up in a right click context menu on a file or folder, and then reinstall one program at a time to see if the culprit can be found (assuming one of those programs is the culprit)? That would include most AV programs in addition to anything else in the context menu. I think I would want something more definitive to indicate that a third-party program is the culprit before investing that time. Do you have anything to base your suggestion on? Or do you know of some other way to "check for..." third-party software?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you can remove or disable context menu extensions try that before uninstalling. Often some odd ball issue with Windows Explorer is the indication that an extension is causing the problem.

Joe