3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making a decision tree

I want to make a decision tree. I have box 1, and it goes off to a decision symbol. There are two boxes branching off from the decision diamond. Sometimes I have to move one of those boxes a very long way from the decision symbol. When I move a box or a decision, I want the connecting line to stretch.

I’m using Word 2010. I can also use Excel 2010.
    Bob Wall

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the Insert > Shapes gallery, in the Lines section, the first three tools are just "lines", while the next six tools are "connectors". When you use a connector tool, start at or near the center of one of the edges of a box, or a corner of the diamond -- the connection point will turn into a red dot, and the connector should attach there. (If the end of the connection is a white circle, it isn't connected to the shape.)

Drag a shape that has a properly attached connector, and the connector will stretch the way you want.

This works the same way in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (except that, for some reason, the connection dots in PowerPoint turn green instead of red).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jjfreedman For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-07-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At first, I couldn’t make it work. Then I clicked on the New Drawing Canvas. When I tried your method, it worked. I can see when the red dots appear; then I drag the connector end point to the next box or diamond. When I see the red dots appear in the new location, I let go of the mouse button, and they are connected.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Bob Wall

Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest adding decision tables to your bag of tricks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_table

Flow charts and decision trees have their uses, but lately, I have found decision tables often convenient. And easier to maintain.

Like anything else, getting it right is the hardest part. Good luck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dried_squid For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-07-26)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I’ve never come across this decision table idea. Interestingly, there was a variation of this on the PBS show, ‘Bletchley Circle.’ They only show it for a few seconds, so I couldn’t understand much of its structure.

I’ll try it out for my application, even though I have already done the decision tree.

Thanks for the new knowledge.
    Bob Wall