New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Newest evrsion on IE (IE6)

Hi, if IE 6 is launching once you boot your pc up it is most lkely in your Start Up Folder.

Click on your Start Button, then point to Programs, then point to your Start Up folder. If you see anything in your start up folder labeled as IE 6, simply right click on it and select Delete from the pop-up menu.

If this doesn't work, then there is something else going on...reply with details..
    --Brian in NY

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

There is another possibility:
    soem of yer dammit programs like InstantMessenger wants ya to register thru the internet
    make shoore none of 'em launching at startup:
    click Start, then Run, type
    MSCONFIG
    and hit Enter. Near the upper right corner of the pop-up window you'll see Startup tab. Click it and uncheck all checkboxes in the middle of the window, then click OK button. i hope it'll help ya.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And RealPlayer will get IE started every time if you have NOT told it (RealPlayer) NOT to.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well I am a computer tech so I assumed the same thing but it wasnt in the startup folder I also checked to see if it was in the msconfig under starup but it is not...but that is not the only problem IE6 doesnt work right for me it freezes all the time soemtiems it wont even open ive tried everythign known to man to get it to work :-( All of my programs ar fine non are interferring with IE6 it is as if the program hates me for soem reason I do not have Real Player I refuse to use that program and my MSN messenger is under msn explorer I have cleared most everything from my startup

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Which tasks are in your Task Scheduler? Did you install Windows Update Notification?
    About your second problem (not all websites can load) what add-ins are installed in your IE? What security settings do you have for Internet zone? How fast is your Internet connection?
    If you are REALLY computer tech, what

Lounger
    Thanks

What OS are you running under?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Jminot
    A little gentle advice.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I do not use the Task Scheduler. I did install the Windows Update Notification. It isn't that web sites can't load, it is that most of the time IE6 will not open at all or will freeze up. As far as reconfiguring my hard drive and doing a clean installation, I have done that several times already. I am using Windows Millenium Edition. After 7 installations, IE6 Still does not work right for me. I don't really have many programs installed on my computer just IE6, MSN Explorer and Yahoo Messenger. I have had many people call me with the same problems at Gateway Technical Support and we have no answers for them. As many know Gateway and Microsoft are the same company just different branches, so I have contacted a friend of mine who works on the Microsoft Tech Team, no one there has any idea as to what the problem is either. On another note, I think it was very rude the way MerC replied to my post, it is uncalled for to make a person feel bad because of a few typos. Someone really needs to lighten up and get an attitude adjustment. There was no need to be as rude, condescending, and oxy-egoistic as that. It could have been stated in a nicer way that my typos bugged him/her. And as far as kaplinb goes...thank you suggesting nicely to me, I do appreciate it. I am sorry for the picture that I attached to my first post. I am not trying to be rude to MerC...you seems like a very intelligent person. However, my day job I am a Music Teacher at Minot State University here in North Dakota, if someone were to be a smarty pants as such in my class they would be booted out tail end first. I am extremely sorry, but I did not find your advice gentle at all. I am also sorry that my question was ill formated in phrase and syntax, but I was in a rather high strung state when I typed it. Once again I apologize! James

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Dear James,
    Thank you for your clear and polite message. We don't use WinME in our corporate environment, but I heard many complains about this operating system. Consider to upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP; or to downgrade to Windows 98 Second Edition (to me, it is more stable than WinME.) I suggest to uninstall Windows Upgrade Notification - believe me, it does nothing useful. Or set it to check for updates once a week or maybe even less frequently (default is once a day, that can cause your problem).
    By the way, not long ago I saw Gateway computer with default installation - there was a lot of "Trial" and "Demo" programs, some useful ones was literally buried under that trash.
    And I can't stop myself to say couple of words about Microsoft - I am not surprise their Tech Team has no idea how their programs are functioning; Microsoft makes enough money certifying us...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you James for taking the trouble.
    Your problem is almost certainly down to ME (Windows, that is, not myself)
    I suggest ditching it and going for XP or Windows 2000, under which IE6 runs properly. If you're not prepared to do this, I feel you've a long haul ahead to correct the difficulty, if indeed you ever manage it. Sorry to sound so negative, but that's Windows for you.

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

I Agree about Microsoft totally. I do not however use a Gateway. I may Tech for them but their computers are awful. I don't have any problems with ME itself it is just IE6. I had no problems when I had IE6 originally with ME, the problems did not start till my wife accidentally uninstalled Windows ME so I had to reinstall then that is when my problems started. Makes no sense, I know. I am sure that she did something wrong with the accidental uninstallation, I have just been unable to ascertain the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have used XP and 2000 once before I had more problems with those than anything else. Windows ME worked fine till my wife accidentally uninstalled windows one day. Before she did that I had IE6 and no problems. After reinstalling windows, I upgraded again to IE6 then troubles started. I am sure it had something to do with her accidental uninstallation. Finding the problem is a problem in itself. It just does not make any sense to why IE6 worked the first time but not now. I use the XP compatible version of MSN Explorer and Have no problems. I do think however than something went wrong when I downloaded IE6, I have to figure out how to totally get rid of it then download it again. I can't remove it form the control panel. LOL it just does not cooperate.
    James

New Lounger
    Thanks

Newest version on IE (IE6)

I am having soem severe problems with IE6 its opens on start up and I cant get it to stop that jsut sttarted well thats not the worst part ....USually it doesnt even want to open on me i had no problems before with IE but when i got 6 this started ive try reinstalling it again and it doesnt do anything to fix the problem please help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi James
    Sorry to hear of your continued problems. I assume that you've tried the Add/Remove Windows components with IE unticked? This ought to give you the option of Repair Browser. ( Have you got a roll-back option to IE5.5 or anything?) If neither is the case, then unfortunately, it seems it's time for the 'bare metal' approach.
    Obviously, as you're computer literate, I won't go into detail, but if it were me, I'd back up all unique data and net downloads, get a copy of IE6 on a cover disc (saves a big dnld), then re-partition and format my hard drive.
    I was a little surprised to note you'd had excessive trouble with XP. I run a triple boot system (SE, 2000P, XPP) and IE6 fits in really well with all of them.
    Install the OS of your choice (but you ought to think about ditching ME) and build up again from scratch. I usually advise people to do this once a year anyway - the spring clean does the system a world of good. It may take a bit of time - but not nearly as much a struggling on with the present situation.

MerC's Law of Domestic Harmony : Always buy the wife her own PC, though at a pinch you can share peripheral hardware such as the dishwasher and ironing board.

Cheers