New Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop & Start screen continuously cycle

All of a sudden the desktop and start screen cycle every second or so, all dialog boxes keep going inactive as I try to troubleshoot. So far I have disabled all scheduled tasks, run a complete set of HP diagnostics to include memory & Disk drives, I have changed keyboards to eliminate a possible keyboard mechanical problem

When I restart I get the following error dialog box message: explorer.exe - Application Error in title bar The instruction at 0x13430735 referenced memory at 0x144a334. The memory could not be read. Note the instruction location and the memory location change each time I restart.

What is interesting is that if I stay only with the metro apps and the start screen everything is fine, but if I use any app that runs in desktop mode this spontaneously starts happening.
    I have done a windows defender deep scan to check for any virus, malware, etc

System is I7-940 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD & HD 500GB Radon 6670HD video. The video card & driver have had display reset problems which were mostly resolved by increasing the delay timeout from 2 to 8

Any thoughts?

Ernie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you able to use a tool such as Autoruns or WhatInStartup to see & manage what is starting when the system boots?

Joe

Thanks
    Try running SFC /scannow from an elevated Command prompt.
    If that doesn't help, try a Clean Boot:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48705608,d.aWc

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No,

Took quite a while since every time it bounced from Start to Desktop it deactivated the active Dialog box tried a clean boot to no avail, finally was able to do a refresh. Only problem is Refresh wipes out all your applications, Outlook and all my email setting and message, etc and most of the data that isn't stored in My Documents

Good thing is that it tells you what it wiped out in a HTML file called Apps Removed while refreshing your PC, Thanks a lot MS !!!!

Thanks
    Unfortunately, this is a know occurrence with Refresh. It has been discussed many times throughout the Lounge. A better alternative is, after you know you have a good installation, create an Image of your system. A system image will restore everything exactly to what it was when the Image was created, including ALL apps, customizations, data, etc. I have gone further and created a separate partition for my data, so that if I have to restore my OS and apps, the data is not touched at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I already went to the image route with Macrium Reflect, first time in over 30 years of computing that I have had to use that route; but the rebuilding of all my applications, data and settings twice in the last 5 months finally persuaded me. <G> I have most of my data on a separate drive due to having a SSD as my C: drive, but a surprising amount of settings are contained within the installed programs that are removed by the refresh.

Only good part is the Macrium Reflect process image process is so easy to use that it is rather painless once you go through the rather easy setup. The free version is now installed on the wife's Win 7 machine and an image already made with the rescue USB stick.

In all the years of beta testing from Win 3.1 onward to XP I never used images!

Not really sure why "refresh" has to remove all the programs permanently, don't know why they could not be put in a sandbox and you be allowed to reactivate them to windows one at a time.

I really wish I could have gotten to the system restore and tried it out, but there was no way with the constant desktop/start screen flipping

Ernie