2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Judging RAM Speed

When looking at the RAM speed on POST, what does 533Mhz mean and other than "looks ok to me" how can I judge if it's fast enough, Have Crucial RAM 16k but what does that mean as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    MQG,

Try a free program like SIW or Speccy to get more useful information about your memory and the rest of the system. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.... have speccy. But when I read about over clocking etc, I'm trying to find out what "fast" means. I have 16+GB 1600 DDR 3 but POST says it's running at 534Mhz...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MQG1023 View Post
    Thanks.... have speccy. But when I read about over clocking etc, I'm trying to find out what "fast" means. I have 16+GB 1600 DDR 3 but POST says it's running at 534Mhz...
    MQG,
    Hello.... Right from the "GEKO" ..I'll tell you that i don't know much about "Overclocking" ...But I'll share what i do Know...

1. Have a read Here there are a few good links that might help

2. The big question is.... if your "MOBO" supports or has the ability to "Tweak" all of the settings .. I have a ASUS 990FX (Win 7 \ 64 UEFI BIOS) and the settings that i could make are legion... Not a "Gamer" so for now I'll leave them remain at the default...

3. Another good source for information is the "Overclockers Forum" I'm sure that you could find the direct answer to your question there. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comeback.. have an MSI X58E PRO with an i7. I'm with you and not a gamer but I feel that I'm "missing something" thus I need to understand the slang. I COULD overclock but have seen no need to just yet.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One matches memory with a motherboard and 99.9% of the time, never thinks about it again. Even as a gamer, I don't think about it, that's more of an ultra-extreme gamer thing. Video card(s), drive speed, and processor speed are all more important considerations once mobo-RAM are more or less set in stone.

Thanks
    DRAM Frequency: 533x2=1066 (double data rate)

*Go back into your BIOS and ensure that your memory is actually set up to perform at it's maximum XMP profile. (1600 or whatever)

Many tools that report memory only report actual data rate and not the DDR rating.
    Look at the SPD tab in CPU-Z (64-bit) and adjust in the BIOS's memory configuration setup as appropriate.

If you have a decent board and memory it will be easy to set up your memory to the profile you want.

Overclocking memory is pretty much standard these days, and it is for the most part, safe and easy to accomplish.
    the most common base speed for memory will be 1300, usually anything higher is an overclock, and anything under is clocked down, or lower defaulted.
    XMP Profiles are usually SAFE, common, and acceptable overclocks.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-07-05 at 21:08.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with you 100%. One of the things that one of my IT teachers taught me was that "most of the time the demos always work". As I watched the speeds increase, I keep wondering what am I missing but then I realize that not being a gamer and being a generalist, they are other things to consider. I did learn a few lessons when I upgraded this machine and that is not only must the sticks be on the same frequency, but it helps if they are from the same company. It is not necessary that they be from the same company but my machines tends to run "smoother" when all of its brothers and sisters are from the same parent the other thing is that sometimes our eyes play tricks on us in that we think that something is going faster or slower than it really is. On one hand I read about a certain brand-name causing stability problems and on the other hand that same brand-name is a "must-have".

In many ways there are differences between a "gamer" and someone who simply likes to "Tinker" with their machines. I am in the latter category. I love games and I'm so happy that there are gamers out there who will test this stuff for us but I have to do documents and spreadsheets as well.

Thanks
    Yes, that's my rule for memory replacement; Exact same rated memory by the exact same maker.
    I would never consider mismatching memory.

Your right, we owe alot to the gamers and overclockers out there who constantly seek and demand greater performance.

The XMP profiles are like a watered down form of overclocking. All the really advanced settings are factory preset to perform
    stably at their specific settings. (Usually but not always, some advanced tinkering may still be needed on some setups)

I just recently had a problem I tracked down to one of my memory modules. The computer would not
    boot and my BIOS alerted me to a memory issue by way of the BIOS error beep code.

As it turned out, one of my Corsair Vengeance 4GB DIMM modules failed and took the entire system down with it.
    I had to remove all the memory and test one at a time in order to single out the culprit.

So I ordered another set, but they only come in double (2x8GB) or triple (3x4GB). I run triple channel, but have a total of 6 DIMM slots.
    If I install just the one 3x4 I lost, (I'm running triple channel mode to a total of 12GB@1600MHz) I can keep my 1600 profile.
    But if I go ahead and install all the memory (20GB worth), I'll get defaulted down to 1300MHz (which still isn't bad at all).

Lesson learned: memory catastrophes can come at any time with absolutely no warning whatsoever.
    It's been a couple of years since I've done the build on my system and to my surprise the exact same memory was STiLL on
    the market; Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.