New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Pro 64 bit enters recovery mode on restart but works after shut down

I have a Dell laptop, that I did a fresh install of Win 7 on. If I do a restart the PC goes into recovery mode and will not start. If I press the power button same thing. If I shut the PC down, properly (not just press the power button) it starts properly.

Thanks
    Even though this is a "fresh install" (is this the same as a Clean Install?) I would try to run sfc /scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt. If something did not install correctly or is corrupt, this may help.

How did you accomplish this "fresh install"?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response. I was unable to boot, so I reformatted the drive and did a clean install. I have since run sfc /scannow several times. I have also tried the bootrec commands. It will eventually boot after a shut down or two.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wackieworld View Post
    I have a Dell laptop, that I did a fresh install of Win 7 on. If I do a restart the PC goes into recovery mode and will not start. If I press the power button same thing. If I shut the PC down, properly (not just press the power button) it starts properly.

"wackie one",

Hello...
    1. First thing i would check is BIOS... just to make sure that all settings look normal.

2. Next i would check... System Configuration>Boot.

Post back with questions Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response. I have further information. I found that when Win 7 was doing the repair it was referring to drive D as the Windows drive and that I was only able to boot with the installation disk in place. I went into disk manager and found drive c wan not active. I made it active and did a reboot and it said Bootmgr was missing. I booted to the Win 7 disk and did a repair. Now I can boot to Win 7 only if I have the Win 7 DVD in the drive. I think I am getting closer but I need to get Windows to boot with out the disk in the drive. Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give.
    Charlie

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give.
    Charlie,
    Hello... Download and install EasyBCD Free Input your drives ,and select whichever drive that you want as "Default" and EasyBCD will take care of your boot problems Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you PlainFred, I am now able to boot without the Windows DVD, however after the BIOS screen pops up I am getting a blinking cursor on the top left. I wait thirty seconds or so to see if it will start and no luck. I hit Control-Alt-Delete and it reboots perfectly normal. I feel I am so close now, thanks to your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I am now able to boot without the Windows DVD, however after the BIOS screen pops up I am getting a blinking cursor on the top left. I wait thirty seconds or so to see if it will start and no luck. I hit Control-Alt-Delete and it reboots perfectly normal.
    Charlie,
    Hello... Try to enter the "BIOS Setup" and check the "BOOT Order" should be something like....

CD \ ROM listed as first boot device...followed by the Hard Disks

If you installed EasyBCD correctly you should see a "Splash Screen" at boot time to select the OS, or time out to the default. ( you set the timeout and Default within EasyBCD) Regards Fred

PS: make sure that you click the "Save" tab when you enter or change anything in EasyBCD...also check to make sure that your entry is correct ...like my screen shot
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-07-07 at 06:54.
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you again for your assistance. I have verified the boot sequence and it is correct. My EasyBCD screen is set up as yours is. If I do not have the Windows DVD in the drive I get the following message: The file may be corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum. If I do a Ctl-Alt+Del the same message appears. If I put the Windows DVD in the drive and do a Ctl-Alt+Del it brings up the "Splash Screen" and boots up.
    Something, I don't know what, is obviously damaged in the boot files. The more frustrated I get with this the more I want to solve it.

For the fun of it I just rebooted to the Windows DVD and did a "Bootrec /scanos" and it found 0 Windows installations. Could this be my problem? I was able to find the OS in EasyBCD.
    Last edited by wackieworld; 2013-07-07 at 14:35. Reason: Additiona infor

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am defeated. I have come to the conclusion that this issue is either motherboard or hard drive related and is not repairable, by me. Since I just purchased this as a refurbished unit I have contacted the refurbisher and they are sending a replacement. I want to sincerely thank you for all of the support you gave me. I gave up when I realized that it was either hardware related or well above my techinical expertise, unfortunately I invested too much time in trying to make it work and customizing this laptop for our business. You have no idea how bad I want to know what the real problem with this machine is, especially if it is something I did or I overlooked.
    Charlie