New Lounger
    Thanks

Mailmerge with 3 if conditions not working why Pls Help!!

Hi all,
    I am baffled why my simple if statement is not working.

I started off with a simple if statement of:
    (if the field RHYMES = book, then list the text "the quick brown fox. if the field RHYMES = song then list the text "jack and Jill"

{IF {MERGEFIELD RHYMES} = "Book" "The quick brown fox" {IF {MERGEFIELD RHYMES} = "Song" "Jack and Jill"

I then need to add a 3rd condition and found that I could not use the word "and", this is where my problem started, as bringing in the 3rd condition stops my mail merge working.

{IF {MERGEFIELD RHYMES} = "Book" "The quick brown fox" {IF {MERGEFIELD RHYMES} = "Poem" "The quick brown fox" {IF {MERGEFIELD RHYMES} = "Song" "Jack and Jill"
    (what I want here is if the field rhymes =book show text The quick brown fox and also if the rhymes field is = Poem show the text The quick brown fox, but if the rhymes field is =song, show the Text Jack and Jill.

what could I be doing wrong?

If someone could help I await your replies

Thank You

Thanks
    I don't see any end to your fields.
    Try three separate IF Fields:
    {IF {MERGEFIELD RHYMES} = "Book" "The quick brown fox"}{IF {MERGEFIELD RHYMES} = "Poem" "The quick brown fox"}{IF {MERGEFIELD RHYMES} = "Song" "Jack and Jill"}
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

mariejoe (2013-07-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Charles, thanks for the answer.

Your solution is one thing I had in mind of writing the statement it's just that above I have summarised the text to a few words in reality my text is about 500 words to fit into a small table box and I wondered if there was a short cut to avoid having to repeat the 500 words for each scenario, which also may in the future grow. Is there a way that something like "And" can be used to cover 3 different conditions so I only have to write the 500 word text once? an d if so how could I write this please.

Any help would be truly appreciated

Regards Mariejoe

Thanks
    Long term, look into AutoText and Building Blocks. Short term, look into bookmarks and REF fields.
    http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...utocorrect.htm

Using AutoText, you would repeat the information using an AutoText field as your IF Field result. Note, AutoText only works if your document remains attached to the template containing the AutoText or the AutoText is in a global template. Bookmarks and REF fields require that the text be in the document at some place, whether visible or not. Bookmarks, especially for non-visible text are easily deleted by accident when editing.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-07-07 at 12:18.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin