Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

8.1 comments and questions

I installed 8.1 preview ON TOP OF 8.0 final preview in an updated VirtualBox on a I7 based 16gb desktop (home grown). Very little survived, but it did warn me. I did have a big problem that it kept refusing to install because of some 'feature' missing from the VB environment, and eventually learned how to command VB to fix the problem. The one thing I couldn't do was to get the latest extension pack installed; that's a bit of a pain, so any suggestions greatly appreciated. Like as to how to download it and install it.

As to 8.1 itself, I was baffled that 1. the really annoying 'curtain' still needs to be pulled up to login, 2. that the 'restored' 'start' button only takes you back to the chimp designed and oriented childlike MUTRo screen. You'd click on the desktop, it would come up, you'd click on the ORB hoping for a menu and MUTRO would come back. Needless to say, I quickly re installed one of the Win 7 menu restore tools. Of course, MS truly did not fix what so many of us complained about, so I'll be in no hurry to install V8.1 either.

One oddity; during the Win 8 installation, something in Virtual Box and / or Windows was absolutely pegging the cpu and ram, eventually crashing the box, even though total use of ram and cpu was limited. I'd love to figure out what happened; anyone have any idea?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed 8.1 right over 8.0 and all my settings and apps were unaffected. (I backed up my 8.0 with Acronis True Image.) Only bug was I now had to enter a password to log in ... the bypass I used for Win 8 didn't work for 8.1 but I got the solution here, thanks to some knowledgable people.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, I got the extensions working by manually running the installer inside Windows.

I'm guessing that the reason I lost apps and MOST settings was that installing the new preview over the old preview had its limitations. I could have just created a new virtual pc, but wanted to see what would happen.

In the meantime, a bit more info. I'm running IE11, and it seems OK, but Chrome runs very well. SmartDefrag looks fine. Windows Update was very, very fast with a pile of updates. That seems like a big improvement. I also installed SystemMonitor (MOO0) and it's fine, along with Office Libre. QuickLaunch bar still sets up and works nicely. My biggest complaint re doing this in VB is that I can't get a window size I like.

My big complaints are mostly already stated. That horribly stupid curtain you have to try to drag and lift out of the way. The (I guess they are called charms - I call them annoying) things that SOMETIMES pop up when my mouse is towards the right. It seems very random. At least with Classic Start I can find most programs quickly and easily. I do like that with the right settings plus CS I don't have to look at the chimp and toddler oriented 'gui'. I haven't reinstalled printer drivers yet; hopefully that will be easy.

I saw no real improvements (other then bypassing the tiles screen). I do understand that most of them are not obvious. It is a shame though that MS refused to listen to all the complaints and allow people a real choice of gui style. That is all that was needed to win over huge numbers of IT pros that are heavily resisting 8. A bank I'm working for now (several month contract) is just now migrating to Win 7, and has not the slightest interest in 8. What I don't get is how MS could be so oblivious. They may just destroy the PC market as a result. Of course, it's still not too late, if they listen to the remarks on 8.1 and realize how angry people still are, they might just salvage the holiday season. But I doubt it. In the meantime, I may soon buy another laptop, and I'm struggling to find one that is well equipped that comes with 7. HP no longer has a 17 incher, for instance, with acceptable graphics. And what they do sell is old. On Dell I also found nothing. Only the firms selling totally customized laptops seem to still have a choice.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Much as many people will like things as they now are or can be with 8.1; even with the tweaks & changes in 8.1, I am not using it any differently than I did Windows 8.

Yes, the Windows button, now living on the Taskbar can go to the ALL Applications screen instead, of Start. But, personally, I, still, prefer having a traditional Applications window on the Taskbar (as I have in Windows 8) with no need to leave Desktop (screen) and using Desktop Toolbar.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg.1
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-07-08 at 20:18.

Thanks
    How is 8.1 installed? I'd like to get it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Download the .iso file from Microsoft's site.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuts View Post
    Download the .iso file from Microsoft's site.
    Is that how it will be when the final version comes out? I don't want a beta version.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The final version is supposed to be offered as an update through the Windows 8 Store.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The final version is supposed to be offered as an update through the Windows 8 Store.

Joe
    So it's not a service pack?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    No, Kala, it is not a Service Pack. It will be pushed out as an Automatic Windows Update around the end of this summer. You can DL the Preview, now, though; Get it here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/preview

The Preview is only to be run on a spare box, as a VM or as a dual-boot. Do not replace your Windows 8 w/ the beta Preview.

Cheers,
    Drew canadianwave.gif

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    No, Kala, it is not a Service Pack. It will be pushed out as an Automatic Windows Update around the end of this summer. You can DL the Preview, now, though; Get it here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/preview

The Preview is only to be run on a spare box, as a VM or as a dual-boot. Do not replace your Windows 8 w/ the beta Preview.

Cheers,
    Drew canadianwave.gif
    Since I don't have a VM, I'll have to wait.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, you don't have to wait. Backup your present Win 8 entire system with something like Acronis True Image. Then instal 8.1 directly over 8. That's what I did.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to install over win 8 and after the download and installation I got the message to reboot. After the reboot and the fish warmed up nothing appeared. After about 15 minutes I did a hard shut down. Upon restarting Windows 8 appeared along with the message that 8.1 couldn't be installed and my machine was restored to 8. Very happy with this outcome as I did not have to restore an image.
    This is an older 32 bit laptop (@ 7 yrs old) that runs Win 8 very well so I expected it to handle 8.1.
    Already have 8.1 in a separate partition on my desktop so I guess I'm done experimenting.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Rich

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Do not install the beta 8.1 on top of Windows 8!

Kala,

One does not have a VM (virtual machine), one creates a VM in Hyper-V. Anyone can have 1, just by simply building one in Hyper-V. That is how I am running Windows 8.1

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Do not install the beta 8.1 on top of Windows 8!

Kala,

One does not have a VM (virtual machine), one creates a VM in Hyper-V. Anyone can have 1, just by simply building one in Hyper-V. That is how I am running Windows 8.1

Cheers,
    Drew
    I'm guessing you need Windows 8 pro for that? I can't find it on my computer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast