New Lounger
    Thanks

Troubles reconnecting to WiFi network

Hi all.

Hardware in use, within the home:

1 x 2-wire 2701HGV-W WiFi modem/router downstairs
    1 x TP-Link WA501G upstairs (configured as AP, DHCP disables, static IP 192.168.0.20 - outside assignable range of router)
    2 x NP285's connecting the downstairs router to the upstairs AP over mains power lines
    Both router and AP configured with same SSID, on channel 11 and 6 respectively, using WPA2-TKIP with AES encryption

The issue:

Although I can connect to the Wi-Fi network successfully and surf the web or file share between PC's or from iPad/iPhone, I seem to have a problem reconnecting if I loose Wi-Fi connection or choose to "Forget this network", say from the iPad, after connecting upstairs and then trying to reconnect when I go downstairs.
    Intriguingly, I seem to have no problems if connection is lost downstairs and reconnection is attempted after moving to the upstairs location!

It's almost as if the router takes some time to relinquish the initial IP address -vs- MAC association of the iPad/iPhone/PC etc. (if initial connection occured via the TP-Link AP) before allowing connection attempts to proceed. While in this "limbo" state, attempting to reconnect from say, the iPad, continually presents the "please enter pass-key" prompt.

Although this "limbo" period appears to be far shorter than it was when I had tried separate SSID's on both upstairs and downstairs, it still poses an issue and one that I's like to understand and try to eliminate, if at all possible.

Incidentally, I've been reading about how poxy the 2-wire 2701's are so I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with this unit's slow DHCP service, or such like.

Appreciate any thoughts?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think your problem is using the same SSID. I would have separate SSIDs, you can use the same pass key, on each router. Your devices should connect to the strongest signal.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I tought so too, initially.
    However, you will note that I mentioned this was how I had originally configured my two WiFi networks.
    Unfortunately this "lockout" time was worse with that config.
    I can confirm that the issue presents itself after connecting to the WiFi network from the AP upstairs then going downstairs where the Router's range is stronger.
    The 2-wire Router downstairs seems to have difficulty authorizing the roaming client shortly after it disconnects from the upstairs TP-Link AP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried to use a static IP to the downstairs AP close to the 192..168.0.20 upstairs. That would eliminate the need to find a DHCP address.

Sorry, the AP doesn't change IP address the clients do. Juggling too many things. However, I would download inSSIDer and check the RF in your house. There is a youTube video to show you how it works. If no problems with RF, then check WLAN RF Roaming problems for a lot of good ideas.
    Thanks
    Last edited by dcarpenter22; 2013-09-19 at 13:54.