New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Windows 8 Orginal Install Key

I have three installs of Win 8. Two were downloaded from M$. The other MSDN download on the laptop. I took advantage of the free Media Center download and install. I wanted to check the original product key on each machine. I used Belarc and Produkey and each listed the product Key as the Medeia Center Key. I didn't use Jelly Bean as they want $$ for Win 7 & 8 Keys. There is no problem in any of the machines. I'm just wondering if the Key for Win 8 is now the Media Center Key? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    If you no longer have the original product keys and have to reinstall Win 8 for some reason, you might have to contact MS. I am not sure if the Media Center key will activate Win 8 as well as allow the Media Center installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think the Media center key is a valid Windows key, that works pretty much as a Windows 7 anytime upgrade did. The key gave you access to a new Windows version and replaced the existing key.

I have no official confirmation of this, but the fact that your key was replaced by the new key and the wording of Windows during the upgrade process (check figure G here), makes me believe so.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I See. If I use my Original Keys - It will install without Media Center. But use the new Media Center Keys. It should install with Media Center attached.
    (Maybe) But it does make sense! Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    I hope you are correct Rui. I can only find one of my original 2 Win 8 keys, but do have both Media Center keys.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I hope you are correct Rui. I can only find one of my original 2 Win 8 keys, but do have both Media Center keys.
    It's really my interpretation, Ted. I tried a search and couldn't find anything about it, but it would make sense and it would be consistent with the behavior of even Windows 7 regarding the unlocking of Windows features.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted and Rui. I was also surprised to see that my W-7 keys morphed to Media Center. I noticed this when using Everest. Funny !

Everest is good on W-7 but will not run on W-8. I queried Topola but never got a come-back from him. Jean.