Thread: auto boot.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

auto boot.

Hello. Can anybody here lead me to where I can find how to make a bootable DVD for a copy of my W-7 DVD for archival purposes evidently. Thanks. JP.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    JP,

Try this MS Article. HTH

P.S. I depend on Images using Macrium Reflect...IMHO much more reliable.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, RG. Thanks for the come-back but it is a miss. I do have a recovery CD and got to use it a few times as I really give my machines a hard time. What I need to do is a bootable copy of the commercial (?) DVD for archival purposes. I made a copy of it but it will not boot. I can use it in a running machine, find the Setup.exe and it will the run after I click on it. I might one day need it to auto boot on a dead machine as I could not click on the .exe. Yes, I am aware of the boot preference from BIOS !
    A great day to you, hoping that you are having a nice WE. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Jean,

You might want to take a look at this thread. Gives you the capability to boot from an external HD to restore your image backups. If you're giving your machines a hard time this sure beats reinstalling the OS & Programs every time. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You might have seen or participated in Jean's troubles with ATI and 64-bit and imaging. I think Jean is back to cloning only again, which is fine for a system or two.

I'm closing in on a dozen systems or so, all restored with the bootable drive program and images therein that I made after seeing that post. One system only continues to defy me, it's 10 or 11 years old, AMD 3000+, whether I use the bootable drive or a boot disc, just before starting the dissimilar recovery it hangs for a while and the program times out. I think it has two [prototype] SATA connections so I'll try one of those when I get a chance since my only thought is that there's something old that not being understood by ToDo.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello. Can anybody here lead me to where I can find how to make a bootable DVD for a copy of my W-7 DVD for archival purposes evidently.
    JP,
    Hello... First off How could you fit an entire patched up , program installed, OS on a 4.7 GB DVD? ....Maybe an original XP install ..but definitely not 7 .... Here is my 2¢ ..

1. Flash drive large enough to hold two partitions ...

2. One partition with your "Image recovery disk of choice"...Macrium or Acronis would be mine....Lately Macrium Pro

3. The other partition with an up-to-date Image of the OS in question..

4. So... now you could use this (Flash Drive) to "recover" the OS to wherever you want... Provided that you have Macrium Pro (Re-Deploy) ,or Acronis with Plus Pack for new hardware .... Or just the "Plane Jane" versions to re-install to the same PC ...

Think that you're making this too complex .... Just IMAGE! Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, FUN and RG, good morning.
    My poor choice of words might have let you all astray. I do not have any problem in using Acronis and doing clones, I am quite proficient in this and I have a RAID 1/2 Tera to do my most important machine and all kinds of smaller USB devices to clone other machines.

Now, there used to be an option before when formatting a floppy, that read something like "make bootable", this option was offered after clicking Format in Properties, along with a choice of 16 bit or 32 bit. This is the option that I seek now for a DVD onto which I would copy the W-7 install OS. I move between two homes and I try to cut down on stuff that I might need and tag along and I often forget some. Having a copy of the OS install DVD at either places would be great, just in case. I have a Repairs DVD at both locations, this is not what I want. ( I should have made a clone right after the install, this would fill my need, maybe. )

I appreciate your keenness in trying to help me in this that is not really important, so far, I have not needed it but looking ahead is my motto. Jean.

Thanks
    Jean,

Perhaps this PC World Article combined with the .iso from F.U.N's post above will solve your problem. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs