Thread: Power cuts

Thanks

Power cuts

There I was driving my HST from Newcastle to Darlington when, boom, a power cut. I could hear the my wife downstairs and the neighbours yelling; they were all watching Andy Murray at about 2 sets up. After a few minutes it came back and my PC rebooted (that's where I was driving the HST!).

Now in days of yore all sorts of error messages et al would come up in this situation but Win 8 just seems to cope fine. My question is, would Win 7 have done so? I can't actually remember what Win 7 does in these circumstances. I know XP would and previous OSs would have not coped (never had Vista on a desktop).

Not that I recommend losing power like that - it did kill my old XP PC a while ago though I was able to resurrect it with Linux (see http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...a-corrupt-file if you're really interested).

So what happens with Win 7 in these circumstances?

And is it a case that Win 8 (and 7) are more robust in these circumstances. Or is it the hardware?

Just interested.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post

access,
    Hello.. It has been my experience that you will get an "Error message" at the next "Boot-up" Stating that "Windows Has shut down abnormally" ...something like that.... and ask if you now want to re-start normally, or choose from a menu with various options ...In any event ...no harm done ...Been there done that a "Gazillion" times ... Now i use an APC Power backup unit, and only get that message when something that i did locks up my PC and required to do a forced shut down. Regards Fred

PS: Vista, 7, and XP-Pro SP-3
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Same, I used to lose an ME or early XP system back in the day when FAT32 was the default file system. NTFS is much more robust. Still it's hard on a system, lose a PS every now and again, not from the power cut but from the 4 closer surges that is trying to automatically restore power, which almost never works.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    There I was driving my HST from Newcastle to Darlington when, boom, a power cut. I could hear the my wife downstairs and the neighbours yelling; they were all watching Andy Murray at about 2 sets up. After a few minutes it came back and my PC rebooted (that's where I was driving the HST!).

Now in days of yore all sorts of error messages et al would come up in this situation but Win 8 just seems to cope fine. My question is, would Win 7 have done so? I can't actually remember what Win 7 does in these circumstances. I know XP would and previous OSs would have not coped (never had Vista on a desktop).

Not that I recommend losing power like that - it did kill my old XP PC a while ago though I was able to resurrect it with Linux (see http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...a-corrupt-file if you're really interested).

And is it a case that Win 8 (and 7) are more robust in these circumstances. Or is it the hardware?

Just interested.
    Depending upon what your doing at the time the power goes out, you can still seriously damage your system, like in an instance where you're updating the BIOS etc.
    99% of the time you'll be fine though, and like others have said, NTFS is far more robust than FAT ever was.

A surge protector is an absolute must have device. An APC backup unit will be nice to have around too, but not absolutely necessary.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I see a small UPS as standard operating equipment for a desktop (laptops don't need it, with their batteries) and all my computers are connected to surge protected power sources.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hmm, not sure what happened to my reply, but it wasn't a power cut.

It's good to know that more modern OSs and hardware are more resilient, but I don't go round switching off my PC at the wall. I have surge protectors for all my kit, but I'll have to start saving if I want a UPS. What I have learnt is to switch off if an electrician is doing anything with the power ("It won't affect your PC - oops"!). I had started leaving my PC on overnight but that's when most power cuts seem to occur. One problem is that the PC will reboot automatically after a power cut - can this be stopped? If the power's going up and down like a yo-yo then that's when it's more likely to break the HD.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the setting is in the BIOS, stay off in case of power interruption instead of returning or trying to return to previous state when power returns. I don't know about a UEFI based system but assume there must be something.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2013-07-09)