Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Script errors

  1. #1
    Silver Lounger t8ntlikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Script errors

    I keep getting the following "msnbc.com is not responding due to a long running script error" When I come into the lounge everything is ok but when I go to try and post a new thread I get the same thing "windowssecrets.com *****" I took a look at kb308260, and that didn't do anything. In order to post this I had to walk away and get a cup of coffee and by the time I cam back the "New thread" window was open.
    What else can I do?

    Thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,625
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 932 Times in 853 Posts
    In the Menu Bar, select Tools, Compatibility View Settings. Add the sites with the script errors to the list. This is how I recently fixed the same problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,357
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I think facebook's APIs are causing that. I have seen it happen in a couple sites and it always happens with IE. I had actually to disable the "like" button in a site I admin because of it.

    I have a permanent solution for you - don't use 2nd rate browsers - yes, I mean IE.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  4. #4
    Silver Lounger t8ntlikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    thanks Ted but No Joy. windowssecrets was already in there, as was msnbc. deleted both and re entered but didn't help
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

  5. #5
    Silver Lounger t8ntlikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I think facebook's APIs are causing that. I have seen it happen in a couple sites and it always happens with IE. I had actually to disable the "like" button in a site I admin because of it.

    I have a permanent solution for you - don't use 2nd rate browsers - yes, I mean IE.
    Well, not going that route yet! Key word being yet. If I cant get this figured out I do have an appointment tomorrow at the Scottsdale MSFT store. Maybe they can figure it out. I probably should have noted too that although msnbc.com is slower than molasses in January to load, this script error is recent in the last week or so, and the script error in windows secrets started this past week. Before then, not problems.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,357
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Well, not going that route yet! Key word being yet. If I cant get this figured out I do have an appointment tomorrow at the Scottsdale MSFT store. Maybe they can figure it out. I probably should have noted too that although msnbc.com is slower than molasses in January to load, this script error is recent in the last week or so, and the script error in windows secrets started this past week. Before then, not problems.
    In the site I run, it also started last week. I know of yet another forum where the problem was still prevalent last weekend. In any of these cases, both Chrome and Firefox were unaffected.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  7. #7
    Silver Lounger t8ntlikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Well, now THAT is interesting!.... I was looking at completely uninstalling I.E. 10, but thought better of it for now as it seems to be limited to just these two sites msnbc.com and windowssecrets.com.
    Went through the updates, didn't see anything in there that stuck out, but then who knows! Will see what the boys and girls at the MSFT store have to say and will report back.

    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,357
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    You will gain nothing by uninstalling IE, it's not a specific version IE issue. I have had users with multiple IE versions complaining (8,9,10). I have confirmed that this is indeed an issue in all of those versions, by running IE 10 and using the dev tools to make it emulate versions 8 and 9 and it is a problem in all of them.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  9. #9
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Coincidentally I got a call for help from my sister in law as she was getting exactly this message when attempting to access many websites. She had downloaded IE10 and found that it slowed her browsing so much that she promprtly uninstalled it and then began getting this script error. I reinstalled a clean IE9, no change, cleaned her whole machine with ccleaner and ran a Malwarebytes scan, no change, downloaded some updates that she hadn't bothered to download, including 3 net.framework ones and 1 for her graphics card, no change, then I installed IE10 again, no change. Finally I installed an update that was waiting whose description said that it solved some Windows problems.(Can't recall the number but it must be recent). After a reboot, the script error had stopped and websites were loading properly though she still says that her whole system seems slower! I have recommended that she uses GC or FF to browse.

  10. #10
    Star Lounger Odos270's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Back when I was using XP and updated from IE 7 to 8, I kept getting script errors. Tried everything to clear it up. Uninstalled IE and reinstalled. No fix. I finally got fed up and switched full time to Firefox and never looked back.

  11. #11
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,625
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 932 Times in 853 Posts
    Every time I tried FF or Chrome (many times with different versions) there was always some little quirk that just did not work for me at all. I kept going back to IE.

    Yes the scripting error seems to have come up recently. I even restored my last image, thinking that caused the problem. I think perhaps this was caused by an IE update. Do you have a check mark in Gear icon, About IE, Install new versions automatically? I unchecked this (Is checked by default), restored again, made sure it was unchecked still. My IE 10 seems to be working normally again. I do still have several sites in the Tools, Compatibility View Settings box.

    If you do not have a current, up to date Image as I have, you might have to go the revert to IE 9, then install IE 10 route again and ensure this check box is unchecked.

    Also check Internet Options, Advanced tab and check Disable debugging script errors, and uncheck report errors.

    Debug Script Errors.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-07-09 at 05:31.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  12. #12
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,357
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    The script error messages, in most cases, have nothing to do with any specific computer. Many websites have facebook integration and that is what is causing in all cases I could check. Each day that goes by I loath IE more. It's just amazing how far it is from other browsers.
    This situation affects all IE versions without exceptions.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  13. #13
    Silver Lounger t8ntlikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Every time I tried FF or Chrome (many times with different versions) there was always some little quirk that just did not work for me at all. I kept going back to IE.

    Yes the scripting error seems to have come up recently. I even restored my last image, thinking that caused the problem. I think perhaps this was caused by an IE update. Do you have a check mark in Gear icon, About IE, Install new versions automatically? I unchecked this (Is checked by default), restored again, made sure it was unchecked still. My IE 10 seems to be working normally again. I do still have several sites in the Tools, Compatibility View Settings box.

    If you do not have a current, up to date Image as I have, you might have to go the revert to IE 9, then install IE 10 route again and ensure this check box is unchecked.

    Also check Internet Options, Advanced tab and check Disable debugging script errors, and uncheck report errors.

    Debug Script Errors.jpg
    Yup Ted
    With the exception that I have the one above "Close......." checked
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

  14. #14
    Silver Lounger t8ntlikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The script error messages, in most cases, have nothing to do with any specific computer. Many websites have facebook integration and that is what is causing in all cases I could check. Each day that goes by I loath IE more. It's just amazing how far it is from other browsers.
    This situation affects all IE versions without exceptions.
    Ok Rui Now tell us how you really feel! LOL

    this is totally off the wall here but the battery on my laptop is pretty well useless so I don't take the laptop out of my HO. Instead I use it on my desk, with it plugged in. I do however use the wireless. After trying different things to stop the script, including downloading FF which I do not like... and yes when I went to msnbc.com, and the lounge here, both worked fine.
    I decided to try one last thing before I go to the MSFT store on Thursday so I turned off the wireless, and plugged in. Weird, but no more scripting errors on either website using I.E. Just to be sure, I unplugged and reset the wireless and yup script errors returned..... Like I said makes no sense what so ever to me.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

  15. #15
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,357
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    John,

    I am not sure I can explain that. I can tell you, though, my experience has been that this is not dependent on how you connect. I experienced this both on my desktop (wired, 1 Gbit connection) and laptop (wireless n).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •