Lounger
    Thanks

"source" folder renamed, links broken

Hi all,

I've searched but really haven't found an answer that fits completely so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. Just direct me to the location if that is the case.

At work an excel workbook was created that has mutliple different links to a shared network drive that has a folder hierarchy something like this:
    Name of Main Folder - PSO Development
    sub folders under main folder - demographics 2006; demographics 2007; demographics 2008; demographics 2009; demographics 2010; demographics 2011, etc.

The workbook that was created contains links to the various workbooks within these folders, and these workbooks also contain links to other workbooks within that folder. What has happened, is someone in their wisdom has renamed the top level folder "PSO Development" to "Partner Funding Unit", breaking all of the links (100s). Is there a way to easily update the link to reflect the name change. It is only the top level folder that has been renamed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.... but please keep in mind, a relative noob, with very limited knowledge of macros.

Thanks in advance for the support everyone here offers. It is appreciated.
    E. Fred Schneider
    someone who knows just enough to get themselves into trouble
    Winnipeg, Canada
    fred.schneider@sportmanitoba.ca

Thanks
    Can the FixHyperlink code at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post764815 be adapted to your needs?

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the information. I'm not a great coder, but it looks interesting. It wasn't as major a problem as I thought. I had been told that they had changed all of the names of the "sub-folders" as well as the top level folder. Turned out that wasn't the case. They had only changed the top level folder so only had to do a search and replace.

Thanks for responding though. It is appreciated.
    E. Fred Schneider
    someone who knows just enough to get themselves into trouble
    Winnipeg, Canada
    fred.schneider@sportmanitoba.ca

Thanks
    I'm not sure if the following will work, but it would be worth a try, because if it does work, it will be a really easy fix.

Rename the offending folder back to its original name.
    Open the Excel workbook. Make sure all links work.
    If all links work, do a Save As, and save it to another location.
    Now open the saved file from its new location, and see if all of the links work.
    If all links work:
    Close Excel.
    Rename the folder in question back to the name you want.
    Open the Excel workbook that is in the alternate location.
    Do a Save As, this time saving it to the newly-named original location.
    Close Excel.

Now, open the one that is in the newly-named original location, and see if the links work.

My thought process here is that, if you do a Save As, Excel will know that it needs to update the links. If, however, you rename the folder outside of Excel, Excel won't have any way of knowing that the path has changed, and so it won't update any of the links.

I'd appreciate your replying here if my idea worked.