New Lounger
    Thanks

One of two Outlook profiles inaccessible

I am so pleased to have come across this site and forum - it seems packed with so much useful information. I am a Windows novice, but my husband is 'encouraging' me to take more interest in how our home system runs - and I am finding that I am enjoying it !

I have an immediate problem that I would be grateful for help with - I have got part answers from elsewhere on the web, but not a total picture.

I have two Outlook 2007 profiles. One, with the file ending Outlook1.pst – I will refer to it as Profile B), is fine and working normally(and always has done). The other (with the ending Outlook.pst - I will call this Profile A ) has been intermittently troublesome but has responded well to using the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpast.exe)
    Now I am unable to access this problematic profile A at all or use the Repair tool – or find it anywhere.

(Both emails are working when accessed on the provider’s webmail login)

When I log on and click on the Outlook drop down box options, the Profile A one brings up this message:

‘Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Documents and settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file.’

When I tried to perform a repair, browsing through scanpst.exe to the profile in question, this message came up.

‘The Microsoft Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool does not recognise the file C:\Documents and settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft Outlook\Outlook.pst. No information can be recovered.’

When I did repairs before, I thought that a back up had been created but can’t find anything.

Is everything in this profile A corrupted and lost ? It consists of maybe 400 emails in folders and a contacts list. I would like to get it back but could live without them – I could recreate the contacts from other info. The B profile would have been much, much more problematic to lose.

If the profile is lost or terminally corrupted, how do I create a clean new profile from the email address ?

This is a shared PC (running XP) btw – my partner also has two Outlook profiles but his are both fine.

Thanks
    Download and run everything search:
    WWW.Voidtools.com

Type .pst in the search bar. This will find all pst files on your PC. Double click on them to open them to see if they contain your lost data.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying - I misread your reply at first, not seeing the first couple of lines and thought you were just asking me to put it in the Windows search bar. I had done that already but thought I would try again - nothing, then I tried it including all hidden files which I did not do last time.

Hmm - a list came up of some old .pst profiles (from 4 years ago, when my children were also still using this PC - they had their user names). There were two .pst files listed there with my username : - the first (in blue, like the ancient files) was the Outlook.pst that is the problem. The size says 0kb, which even to my untutored eyes says . It was last modified on 4 July which is when my husband was running a long scan and clean up, which may be significant. I realise it was after this that I could not open the file, though I did not connect the dots at the time because the other functioning profile was opened without difficulty first.

The other .pst in my username , OUtlook1, the one that works, was listed on there as last having been modified today (correct) and had a large kb figure, as I would expect. It was listed in black, unlike the others.

Is any of this making sense ?

Thanks
    I assume you used Everything search. If those were the only pst fies it found and none of them are the ones you are looking for, I'm afraid your data is lost. Everything search is very exhaustive. If the file is on your PC, it will find it. The only other possibility I can think of is that you renamed it without a pst extension. You might try plugging Outlook in the search bar and dee wht shows up.

Jerrry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did search Everything, and have just done so again to check. I put Outlook in, as you suggested, and the back up file, Outlook.BAK, came up. Right date for when I last did a scanpst.exe repair (about two weeks ago) and right size of kb. I did find that before when I was searching another way but could not open it and I still can't.

Thanks
    Try changing the name of the file from Outlook.bak to oldmail.pst.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try doing that (now I have found out how to do so !) In the meantime, I have created a new profile for that email address and manually recreated my contacts. All seemed fine and it is downloading emails fine ( on opening and when on line) but is sending outgoing messages to the Outbox - either with a send/receive error or with a slow send. Sometimes it then sends by itself or now seems to need a manual send/receive from the outbox. It then sends ok - I am using both the other profile and my icloud.com address on my ipad to test this.

The other profile, the one that has always works, is not suffering from this.

I have