Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win8 to Win7 simply by installing these two tiny freeware programs

Looking at this forum, it appears Win8 it is still causing as many complaints as when it was originally launched. Having done an advanced search on the program names Iím surprised to find that the ultimate solution shown below does not appear to have been discussed here. Forgive me if I'm teaching granny how to suck eggs.

I run a system building/repair shop and right from the Win8 get-go Iíve had a steady stream of discontented Microsoft Win8 customers begging me to make their new systems usable. The third party software listed below does exactly that, yet still leaves Win8 intact and no further away than a press of the Windows key for those who are doggedly determined to try to find something good about it (me for instance).

To make Windows8 look like Windows7 simply install these two tiny freeware programs:

Skip Metro Suite
    http://winaero.com/download.php?view.33

Classic Shell
    http://www.classicshell.net/

By fiddling with the setting options, particularly in Classic Shell, you can then make the UI do virtually anything you want.

You can then install all of the wonderful, normal, freeware programs that weíve come to know and love and change the Program Defaults to exclude those awful pre-installed crAPPs.

Here's a good article that explains what both of the above programs do - and lots more:
    How to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-a...ws-7-50009546/

P.S. Last week a customer asked me to completely dump Win8 off her top-end Acer laptop, after struggling with it for a couple of months. I clean installed Win7 Ultimate in itís place and then installed loads of good freeware. On return, she came back to tell me how overjoyed she was to see her new computer finally come to life. And it went like a rocket!
    Last edited by Chris Cooper; 2013-07-09 at 10:24.
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

Thanks
    Classic Shell has been recommended in many threads here since the Windows 8 Preview was released, as well as Start 8 and StartIsBack.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"óCaptain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."óM.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."óSir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    It was this forum's past discussions about Win8 and Classic Shell that gave me the confidence to buy a new laptop with Win8.
    And it's working out nicely.

Thanks
    I have used Classic Shell since Win 8 DP days, and have used Start8 on my laptop since Win 8 Pro was released. My wife still uses Classic Shell. This one app does everything we need to make Win 8 look and feel like Win 7. I have never used the second app, so I do not have any opinions on it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi and thanks,

Yes, having now got my head around your search engine I can see that Skip Metro Suite and Classic Shell have been previously mentioned in various threads.

Sorry to have troubled you all Ė Iíll attempt to remove my post if thatís possible.

Cheers
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No, that was fine to mention it again, an uneasy peace has settled across the Win 8 forum, or we're all just tired of yakking about it constantly, so it should be mentioned now and again what there is to right the ship before it becomes another Costa Concordia.

Thanks
    I think we're all just tired of yakking about it constantly!

Thanks
    Ditto here!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I think we're all just tired of yakking about it constantly!
    ALREADY?

Wow, we talked about the changes in XP for more than 10 years, what happened to patience?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Personally, I LIKE Windows 98SE.

Thanks
    I like Windows 8, without the freeware apps as well. But then I like being in a minority - I like the Byrds and Crystal Palace, and Mahler.

Thanks
    I use Start8 and ModernMix from stardock. I've customized it to leave the 4 corners active along with the charms bar. With Modermix I'm able to have all the apps open in a window to ether minimize/maximize or go full app and have more than one app open at a time. I still have the metro start screen available with just one click as well...so I really get the best of both, the look and feel I like of windows 7 but with the speed and efficiency of windows 8.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that as well and I think that's a good way to go if it all works. I had some resizing issues, the apps themselves were all but useless and they either didn't interact with Windows at all or did so very inconsistently from app to app. The ones that did work within expectations were more suited to "gadget" deployment or full screen.

If there wasn't such a mismatch in capabilities between the two interfaces I think it would have worked out much better for me using ModernMix.

Thanks
    I am using Start8, but have decided against Modern Mix for now. I just do not use the Modern apps often enough to bother with it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted