Lounger
    Thanks

Question Question about USB external video cards

I am in the market for one currently, but almost all of them I see say the product will clone your primary screen or extend your desktop to show more applications and such. My purpose for buying one though is to get totally off the intel on board graphics controller my Gateway e4610 has, and use the external video card as my primary video card. Kind of like how you'd just install a new video card into the motherboard slot. Except in this case, I wouldn't have to open the PC at all.

But my question is, will this external card work without a primary screen already plugged into the VGA slot in back of my tower? I was under the impression, that I could just plug my VGA cord into the external USB video card, then plug the USB cord into the USB slot in front or in back of my tower, and go. I just wanna know for sure before I purchase however from someone who has used these before.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    My purpose for buying one though is to get totally off the intel on board graphics controller my Gateway e4610 has, and use the external video card as my primary video card.
    Magik,
    Hello... I can't answer your question ...but i can offer my experience ...a while back i wanted to have another display ( Monitor) and decided that my TV ( large screen) would be a good choice ...So i could use a wireless mouse and keyboard to play videos, etc. I opted for an ASUS ENGT240 ..PCI Express ... It offers both VGA and HDMI outputs ... Both Of my PC's have extra PCIE slots as well as PCI ... so for me the choice was easy ... Just open the case and plug in the new "Card" ..Hook up the rear connectors HDMI\VGA ...install the NVIDIA software ...done .. Can't see any reason not installing right to the "Motherboard"...not a big deal ...Hope this may be some help making your decision. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I agree with Fred, you'll get far better performance and reliability out of a PCIE based GPU card than a USB based one.
    The only issue will be, as Fred points out, ensuring you have a PCIE slot, picking out an appropriate card, and then installing it.

Easy for some, not so easy for others.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have three PCI slots and an AGP slot. My computer is a Gateway e4610 small form tower. So I need a low-profile card. I was looking at getting an AGP card over PCI. Think this one would work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390509760837...84.m1438.l2649

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also been looking at this one....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaton-nVidia...item2ec374b773

Thanks
    CPUID's CPU-Z will properly identify your motherboard's make and model.
    From there you will be able to research it's specs and make a more informed determination.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Are you sure it is an AGP graphics card you require?

A quick look at the specifications for your PC suggest that it has a PCI Express x16 graphics slot as opposed to AGP.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Are you sure it is an AGP graphics card you require?

A quick look at the specifications for your PC suggest that it has a PCI Express x16 graphics slot as opposed to AGP.

I opened her up this afternoon. Three white-colored rectangular sockets for PCI, and above that a black-greyish colored socket for AGP. The black-greyish socket has the short opening facing right, and the longer opening facing left. The white PCI sockets have their short openings facing left, and their longer openings facing right. The black greyish socket also has a small little plastic lever at the bottom edge of it, that you can press down on and pull back a little bit.
    Last edited by Magik; 2013-07-11 at 14:10.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it say on the board next to the socket if it's AGP or PCI Express? How old is the board? AGP was pretty much out of OEM production by 2007 or so. PCI-e 1.1 came out in 2006 and PCI-e 2.0 in 2007. Only my really old systems have AGP slot.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I couldn't tell what it said but I had always heard the black colored sockets were AGP. Also if AGP works better than PCi express in terms of performance, why would newer systems discontinue adding AGP slots?

Thanks
    PCI Express is a later generation of video interface and seriously outperforms AGP.

How does the picture below compare to the slots on your motherboard

PCI-PCIe-AGP.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    AGP replaces one PCI, PCI-e replaces AGP and PCI if there are any PCI-e 1x slots (the small ones), each step up has far more throughput capacity than the former. PCI-e is so fast that it can handle the throughput of a high end video card AND a couple PCI-e USB 3 ports. When they first came out I think AGP was a different color to distinguish from PCI but for PCI-e I've seen many different colors, often red or black (also I have one that's golden yellow), or whatever the manufacturer decides makes the system board look attractive.

Thanks
    You've got One 16 PCI Express slot available if THIS is your board.
    nv.jpg

It will be that long black slot seen in the lower right of the above image.
    As others here have said, the PCIE x16 will be your best option for speed of bandwidth and compatibility.

If you are adamant about the AGP, you should know you are going to take a performance hit as opposed to the PCIE
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-07-11 at 18:31.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    I had a computer with AGP once. It seems I was forced to use AGP video if I didn't want to use the onboard video. I put a PCI video card in one of the PCI slots, but it wouldn't work. AGP cards were the only cards which worked.