Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2010 chart setting to make major horizontal axis by month

Hi I have a problem which I hope someone will be able help me with.
    I have an Excel 2010 workbook with one worksheet. This sheet has a number of colums of data.
    The first column has values for all the days of the year (including the 29th Feb).
    The remaining columns have the cumulative value of solar energy from a PV installation by year.
    I want to have a chart which shows the value as a line for each year with a major gridline at the beginning of each of the 12 months.
    When I set the axis options for the horizontal axis it does not permit the maximum and minimum values or the major unit scale.

Can any one help with the correct way to get the chart I need?
    Last edited by MacNala; 2013-07-10 at 07:20. Reason: typos

Thanks
    If you make a line and the x-axis values are dates it should be automatic and then allow you to change it. You can also specify the axis as date. Here is an example.

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.
    I can see that it works with your data. However with mine I cannot get the Axis Options Minimum, Maximum, Major Unit, Minor Unit.
    I attach a crippled copy of my data. The values are real but actually come from links to multiple Worksheets, I have replaced the formulas with their values.
    To create my chart I select all the data in the worksheet Aggregate, then insert a line chart and then move it to a new sheet.
    Then I tyr to format the horizontal axis and fail.

Regards Alan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    It is there in the chart you have in the workbook.
    If you try to add the 2010 data it will not work since all the x-values are not dates so it makes it a text. "29/02" in Cell A61 is text (2010 was not a leap year). If you remove the alignment from column A and widen it, the dates(numbers) will be naturally right-aligned and the text will be left-aligned.

Steve

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

MacNala (2013-07-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks that has solved it for me. I have changed the date column to all be dates in 2012 which thus includes the leap day but does not affect any of the other years as I just copy the value from the 28 Feb to the 29 Feb for the non-leap years. I now have it all working the way I wanted it.