Thanks

Google-Microsoft war

thought some of you might be interested in this Google - Microsoft War
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya it was nice when services were services and operating systems were operating systems. If Google could come up with something a little more well-rounded than Chrome OS, they could each play in their own sandbox. I'm pretty sure the last thing Google wants is to be just another third party services company inside the Microsoft ecology. That said I don't know how Microsoft is going to avoid antitrust litigation if they tie all these services into a nearly mandatory Windows user/Microsoft account. Doesn't it seem like that is potentially far worse than the IE integration kerfuffle ever was?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya it was nice when services were services and operating systems were operating systems. If Google could come up with something a little more well-rounded than Chrome OS, they could each play in their own sandbox. I'm pretty sure the last thing Google wants is to be just another third party services company inside the Microsoft ecology. That said I don't know how Microsoft is going to avoid antitrust litigation if they

"tie all these services into a nearly mandatory Windows user/Microsoft account. Doesn't it seem like that is potentially far worse than the IE integration kerfuffle ever was?
    "

Interesting statement since Google is already doing the same thing. If you want to really get into YouTube for example you need a Gmail address. Other "google" places are the same. So why would Microsoft be guilty and Google not?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Because Google doesn't have a predominate OS that might be considered antitrust-worthy. I didn't really think there was much of a case for EU to fine Microsoft 1.4 billion 5 years ago, but they certainly did. According to the latest I've read on 8.1, its much more difficult to operate without a Microsoft account log in. It's that OS integration that might get them in trouble. It was even mentioned on Windows Weekly; Paul said this sort of thing just came naturally to Microsoft without much thought to the possibly unfair competitive advantage it gave them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Because Google doesn't have a predominate OS that might be considered antitrust-worthy. I didn't really think there was much of a case for EU to fine Microsoft 1.4 billion 5 years ago, but they certainly did. According to the latest I've read on 8.1, its much more difficult to operate without a Microsoft account log in. It's that OS integration that might get them in trouble. It was even mentioned on Windows Weekly; Paul said this sort of thing just came naturally to Microsoft without much thought to the possibly unfair competitive advantage it gave them.
    I think that it is best to agree here to disagree.

What you are saying is that because Google's Chrome OS, and Apple's iOS aren't as dominate as Microsoft then it is OK to do what Google and for that matter Apple are doing?

In todays real world software ecosystems, I for one am quite happy to stay within the software ecosystem that I have chosen. It's to bad that Google and MSFT can't/don't get along because IMHO that is just bad business and leaves a foul taste in ones mouth.
    Microsoft's You Tube app for Windows 8 Phones, was a well placed shot across Google's bow and although it now seems to be water under the bridge, it made people sit up and take notice of what is going on.
    Apple and Microsoft on the other hand seem to be getting along.... I mean Bing Maps now drive Apple's mapping software, Office 2013 is available for the iOS etc.

It's always detrimental to any company when the Gov't has to step in, but sometimes it just has to in order to stop what MSFT was doing and in the latest verdict what Apple did to Amazon

Nobody (Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon) is innocent here.
    Thanks John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just switch your direction and its all good, no get out of condemnation card for the others at all. Only Microsoft is singled out because they have a OS that is potentially antitrust-worthy. Right now W8 is hardly a dominate OS so there's no worries, but if they grew the market share to predominance then the lawyers would get interested.

Of course the war is ultimately bad for consumers and I don't hold any company involved in that war more culpable than another for the most part. This is based on technical merits only and is a moot point if the direction W8 is going ultimately fails miserably.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Cyndy (2013-07-15)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't mind some inconvenience while the war is waged. What we all(?) ultimately want is a system that is seamless. Can this war produce that for those of us near the bottom of the techie pyramid? It is the mass of users that will determine ultimate success, not few at the top.

It seems the efforts to improve are resulting in some really helpful advances but also some (hmmm...) 'disutility'. I was happy with with Word and Excel three, maybe four, generations ago. I was very happy with PowerPoint two generations ago. All the 'improvements' since then have gone for nothing but confusion and time invested in retraining to no advantage whatsoever. On the other hand, I like my computer/phone interface today. I like the improvements in my calendar abilities. I have embraced the cloud (when I can see it). Mostly I muck along wondering if I missed the bus, plodding along while the techie world zooms past on the way to somewhere I don't seem to care to go.

There are times when I miss the concept of 'public utility'.