5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Media files prove a threat to Windows

PATCH WATCH

Media files prove a threat to Windows

By Susan Bradley

Windows updates are falling into an all too predictable pattern: critical fixes for Internet Explorer and Adobe Flash, a couple of kernel patches, and numerous .NET Framework updates. This Patch Tuesday also includes various critical patches for Windows media components and Windows Defender.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/media-files-prove-a-threat-to-windows/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-07-10 at 15:30.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2013-07-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your PatchWatch column - I find it very useful

- I did as usual and allowed all the run of the mill Windows 7 updates that arrived yesterday to install (+ reboot) but, as usual, unticked the all the Framework and Win x64 security updates pending your end of the month review. I have Windows update set to download but then let me decide on what to install.

To my surprise when I started my system (Windows 7 64bit Ultimate) this morning it told me that it needed to immediately restart as updates were pending installation - intrigued I investigated further and discovered that one of the updates yesterday appeared to have reset my Windows update option to 'Download and install automatically' so I have had to allow all the installations that I specifically unticked yesterday to be installed.

I have now reset it back to 'Download and then let me decide' but was rather annoyed by this!

Any ideas?

Paul C
    Last edited by autobackup; 2013-07-11 at 04:35. Reason: Grammar!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @Paul,

The Newsletter authors seldom answer specific questions such as yours. You'll get better answers by posting this question in the Windows 7 forum.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    What if I have already installed everything with out reading your column?. I have my computer to not install but to download and let me decide when to install. Well it seems that MS knows better than me, because when I shut down they get installed. Should I remove them or just pray. I know they have already messed up my network. I found the fix to connect to the XP computer and it was working until windows up-graded yesterday. Now I hope I can get the connection to work right again. Here is the link I used to set up the network to my wife's computer. Thanks for the tip even if it's to late for me. Thanks in advance
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...dows=windows-7
    Lyle Hensley
    Really Enjoying Every Breath
    Retired US Army
    1957 - 1978

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by autobackup View Post

- I did as usual and allowed all the run of the mill Windows 7 updates that arrived yesterday to install (+ reboot) but, as usual, unticked the all the Framework and Win x64 security updates pending your end of the month review. I have Windows update set to download but then let me decide on what to install.

To my surprise when I started my system (Windows 7 64bit Ultimate) this morning it told me that it needed to immediately restart as updates were pending installation - intrigued I investigated further and discovered that one of the updates yesterday appeared to have reset my Windows update option to 'Download and install automatically' so I have had to allow all the installations that I specifically unticked yesterday to be installed.

I have now reset it back to 'Download and then let me decide' but was rather annoyed by this!

Any ideas?

Paul C
    Paul,

That is exactly why I set my WU to Completely OFF. That is the only way I have found to completely control MS as much as it is possible???? Even then they will occationally FORCE PUSH Updates into your system, sometimes resulting in BSoD.

Crysta

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Patch Watch suggestions

I really like the Patch Watch column, especially the table, and do use it. However, it is a lot of work to do, since I need to keep my own lists, and manually compare my lists of skips, holds, and waits to the Patch Watch list of installs, to see if any of those skips, holds, and waits have become installs. And there are inconsistencies, such as Waits just dropping off (not becoming installs), not all items discussed in the text being listed in the table, and change in status not being highlighted.

Here are my suggestions to make a more usable list, which would in fact allow me to use only the Patch Watch list, and not have to keep my own list.

1. Create the Patch Watch list on a web site, and link to it from the newsletter (or you could always have the entire list in the newsletter).
    a. Allow sorting by Number or Status then number.
    b. Rename Status column to "Previous Status".
    c. Add column for "New Status".
    d. Add a column for "Add or changed date".

2. List only Skips, Waits, Holds, and Optionals. (If not on list, then okay to install)
    a. Skips and Optionals remain on the list for 3 months, then drop.
    b. Holds and Waits remain on the list until they change status.
    c. Exception: A Skip or Optional has gone to Install (this must be listed, since Skip items (and maybe Optionals) are likely hidden by user, and therefore the user must know to unhide it).
    d. If a Wait or Hold has gone to Install, you may just delete the Wait or Hold. Remember, anything not on list is okay to install.
    e. Be sure to add/change to the list any patch (including previously Install) that has changed status to Skip, Wait, Hold, or Optional (and use the Date and Status columns).

3. Ensure list is complete and consistent, by ensuring that all patches and all status changes meeting the criteria above are listed.

By doing these things, the list will become much easier to use and much more useful. I should be able to just use the list, without keeping my own and having to always compare every item to see if it changed status.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation W 7 SP 1 Patch KB 2835361 Causes Conflicts with MS APIs and Services

Hi Folks,

I know some have had problems with one autherized(by the Patch Lady in this column) Patch, KB 2835361, so I would like to share my experience from Friday. I spent most of the day trying to put it in, in different combinations and removing it, as well as doing malware scans to no avail.

One important note:

Just uninstalling the/or all Patch Tuesdays Patches does NOT rectify the problems it cause with MS APIs and/or Services. One must actually do a Restore to remove any settings that it corrupts. Restoring on just this Patch, providing it is the Last one does, however.

What does it Break for me:

From what I discovered there are three MS APIs; Sidebar, Microsoft Management Console (MMC), Internet Explorer(IE).
    In my experience, one just had try to open them and they would crash and send numerous Bug Reports to Microsoft. Hopefully they will come up with their notorious Patch Fix of a Patch.

From what I understand, this Patch is supposed to be about True Fonts and Document Sharing concerns but it must be affecting things farely deep to have the cause and effects that I am having. We have seen these types of Patches to be problematic in the past but this is my first time of having crashes of other APIs around Font Patches.

I am putting KB 2835361 on long term HOLD, until I hear from the Patch Lady(said with HUGE Respect)to put it in, with another Patch that fixes the problem.

Regards,

Crysta

See this Thread in W 7 Forum for additional info:
    Last edited by PhotM; 2013-07-26 at 19:09. Reason: More info on Windows 7 Forum

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey I heard there is a botched update MS13-057/KB 2803821/KB 2834904. If you’re looking at a video, and you only see half of it — the top half is completely black, but the bottom half is normal. Did someone experience anything like that?

Second, did someone ever make any checklist to test computers post patching? If no, what are the recommendations, how can I test servers or workstations if they are not effected by patching?

Thanks
    @ a1opus, this article by Woody?: http://images.infoworld.com/t/micros...2834904-222636

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is another one:

CM issues with MS13-052 KB2840628
    http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/201...052-kb2840628/

Thanks Susan for the heads up and putting it on hold.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    But Susan recommended these updates in her article. Anyway, I am holding it for my prod machines.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup. I can confirm that a1opus KB2840628. Apparently, it's been known to affect SQL Server too, but I can't verify that. Our main IS department deployed patches last night and this morning, the shiny new SCCM setup we were being tained on lost connection between the primary and secondary servers! The good news is that the uninstall was clean and the problem went away.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by autobackup View Post

Any ideas?

Paul C
    I will stake my reputation that mere patching won't change your settings. Installation of software - Microsoft security essentials or Office will. Can you send me a copy of your windowsupdate.log (located at c:\windows ) and I can take a look at what happened? email to sbradpca-at-PacBell.net (change the -at- to @)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by a1opus View Post
    Hey I heard there is a botched update MS13-057/KB 2803821/KB 2834904. If you’re looking at a video, and you only see half of it — the top half is completely black, but the bottom half is normal. Did someone experience anything like that?

Second, did someone ever make any checklist to test computers post patching? If no, what are the recommendations, how can I test servers or workstations if they are not effected by patching?
    Review the event log for issues. Start your key applications, do they still work?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Folks,

We got the following today: (Added to Windows Community Submission)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-054 - Critical
    Vulnerability in GDI+ Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2848295)

Published: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 | Updated: Thursday, August 01, 2013

Version: 1.1

First of all I am not sure what was revised OR how the problems are solved??? Is the Patch ReReleased???

I sure hope we get a response from Microsoft??? Until then MS13-054 in it's entirety stays on hold(hidden)

Crysta

Quote Originally Posted by PhotM View Post
    Hi Folks,

I know some have had problems with one autherized(by the Patch Lady in this column) Patch, KB 2835361, so I would like to share my experience from Friday. I spent most of the day trying to put it in, in different combinations and removing it, as well as doing malware scans to no avail.

One important note:

Just uninstalling the/or all Patch Tuesdays Patches does NOT rectify the problems it cause with MS APIs and/or Services. One must actually do a Restore to remove any settings that it corrupts. Restoring on just this Patch, providing it is the Last one does, however.

What does it Break for me:

From what I discovered there are three MS APIs; Sidebar, Microsoft Management Console (MMC), Internet Explorer(IE).
    In my experience, one just had try to open them and they would crash and send numerous Bug Reports to Microsoft. Hopefully they will come up with their notorious Patch Fix of a Patch.

From what I understand, this Patch is supposed to be about True Fonts and Document Sharing concerns but it must be affecting things farely deep to have the cause and effects that I am having. We have seen these types of Patches to be problematic in the past but this is my first time of having crashes of other APIs around Font Patches.

I am putting KB 2835361 on long term HOLD, until I hear from the Patch Lady(said with HUGE Respect)to put it in, with another Patch that fixes the problem.

Regards,

Crysta

See this Thread in W 7 Forum for additional info: