5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking down the cause of an unwanted popup

LANGALIST PLUS

By Fred Langa

When Windows or apps suddenly start working oddly, two techniques can reveal — and often remedy — the problem. Plus: How to verify your system's 32- or 64-bittedness, Internet Explorer 10 versus the competition, and how "Ease of Access" sometimes makes things harder.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/tracking-down-the-cause-of-an-unwanted-popup/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

In your reply to Bill Janosik's bittedness question you said that once he upgraded Windows to a 64-bit version and his hardware supported 64-bit he could use his full 24 GB of memory. Maybe, maybe not. First his motherboard/chipset has to support 24 GB; many do not. For example, the mobo of my Dell XPS 64-bit Win7 Pro only supports up to 16 GB of system memory. Then his version of Windows has to support 24 GB, but 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium still only supports 16 GB.

I hope that once all Bill's hardware and OS are 64-bit compatible he isn't disappointed. He may need a major overhaul or a new machine just to use all 24 GB of memory.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing not addressed is how to tell if your hardware is 64 bit capable, even if you have a 32 bit OS installed. Steve Gibson's free download at https://www.grc.com/securable.htm will tell if a system can run a 64 bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trlovejoy View Post
    One thing not addressed is how to tell if your hardware is 64 bit capable, even if you have a 32 bit OS installed. Steve Gibson's free download at https://www.grc.com/securable.htm will tell if a system can run a 64 bit OS.
    There was some mention of a previous Windows Secrets article, and at least one method of making the determination was included in the article.

Thanks for the additional information. The Gibson tool looks very handy.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Invoking Selective Startup in Windows 8

Microsoft is very poor on Windows 8 documentation (although they do have a Windows 8 Handbook App, which can be downloaded from the MS App Store) but Hewlitt Packard (HP) documents calling up Windows 8 System Configuration as a Metro-style App here. Another How-To is here. In Windows 8, this is the best way I know of to call up msconfig. You may need to be running as Administrator to configure anything and make it stick.

IE 10 On Windows 7

I still find there may be issues with IE 10 installations on Windows 7, 64-bits.

My Toshiba Satellite laptop has NVidia-Intel hybrid graphics, and early on there were display issues. These issues are gone for the most part now.

There are still some web sites which aren't displaying correctly or otherwise not running properly with IE 10, and some secure web pages aren't functioning or not loading at all. Some security programs are still experiencing issues, as are some Cloud-based security scanning services.

Overall, I'd say folks could install IE 10 and the prerequisite updates on Windows 7, and see what happens. Things can and sometimes do go wrong. If so, revert to IE 9 for now, as indicated in Fred Langa's advice.

I haven't reverted on my own laptop, but I use Chrome as my Default Browser in all Windows versions except Windows XP (where I use Firefox).

IE 10 is going to be a great browser, but for some of us, it still isn't ready under Windows 7 for Prime Time.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks

RE: 1. Installation date: If you remember roughly when the mystery menus began appearing, start with Windows 7's Programs and Features tool. It should show any software that was installed around that time. (Vista and Win8 will also show when software was installed — alas, XP doesn’t.)

If you're using XP, Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html) shows the installation date.