4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Open Word Documents from Shortcuts on a Relocated Desktop

This problem is a little Windows XP, a little Microsoft Word, and a little domain network.

On a Windows XP user's desktop I have shortcuts to Word and Excel documents. The links to the Excel documents work but the links to the Word documents don't. Word opens but the documents don't. Word isn't hung up and is running just fine. It just doesn't open the document; only Word.

No errors appear and no errors in the event log.

This user's 'desktop' is actually located on the network, not on the user's physical computer.

The shortcuts were copied from another user's desktop (where they worked for the other user) and the shortcut's target and start folder were adjusted to point to this user's files on the network. The adjusted shortcuts work for me and other users. The user has full permission to the folder and file. Creating new, fresh shortcuts to the files makes no difference so in opinion the shortcuts themselves aren't the problem.

The user can access the Word documents by opening Word and navigating to them. This would appear to rule out file access and permissions to the files.

I thought maybe it's something that prevents documents to be opened from shortcuts on a desktop that is located on a network share, but if that were the case why do the links to Excel documents work?

I could use some direction on this one. It has me stumped.
    Daisy

Thanks
    A long shot. Have you minimised Word to see if there's any windows underneath requiring a response? This can sometimes happen and it will stop the document opening.

Thanks
    Right click on one of the word shortcuts and select properties. What does it say in the Target field?

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    A long shot. Have you minimised Word to see if there's any windows underneath requiring a response? This can sometimes happen and it will stop the document opening.
    Nothing behind Word. Word isn't frozen, just open and seemingly doing nothing. No message in lower right saying it's hung looking for a template. No popups in front or behind Word.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Right click on one of the word shortcuts and select properties. What does it say in the Target field?
    Initially it was something like this:

\\domain\share$\username\folder\filename.doc

The \\domain\share$\username folder is where the user's Desktop and Documents have been redirected. This type of shortcut has worked in the past for the prior user and other users. This is a DFS share on the network, which hides the real server location of that share. This user has the same access rights to her area as all the other users have to theirs.

Since it didn't work right, I changed it to something like this:

\\server\share\folder\filename.doc

This is the UNC path to the user's Documents folder that any user can find and use. This link acts the same way as the other.
    Daisy