3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Windows update etc

Yesterday I had big windows update which included the Windows Malicious Software KB890830, when done I did the restart program and all was successfully installed. This morning I received another update notice to install the KB890830 again. I double checked yesterday's install and it indeed says it was installed properly. What's with that.

I also recieved the Adobe Flashplayer update notice and when I hit install, it was installing that and something from Mcaffee I stopped the install. Was Mcaffee doing some type of scan or was it some kind of install. I stopped it quickly once I saw the word Mcaffee.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post

I also recieved the Adobe Flashplayer update notice and when I hit install, it was installing that and something from Mcaffee I stopped the install. Was Mcaffee doing some type of scan or was it some kind of install. I stopped it quickly once I saw the word Mcaffee.
    Hi "Bulbman",

I can't answer the first question ... "cause" i don't do MS updates .. The answer to the second is that "Adobe Flashplayer" has changed their paradigm... Before you could just download the "Player" and save it and install later..... Now they only let you "Install" after providing the download link. Also along with the Install package they give you a choice to let "Mcaffee" do a "Scan" along with the player... Just click "Not Accept" box if you don't want it ..They now also have an annoying after download trip to their website to provide "Feedback". Wish that Adobe would go back to the old method .... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2013-07-11)

Thanks
    Hoping somebody jumps on with MS update cause I'm wondering since I already have it to just go ahead and hide it or do a restore to before updates and do a new one or just do another install that it's asking me to do now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hi "Bulbman",

I can't answer the first question ... "cause" i don't do MS updates .. The answer to the second is that "Adobe Flashplayer" has changed their paradigm... Before you could just download the "Player" and save it and install later..... Now they only let you "Install" after providing the download link. Also along with the Install package they give you a choice to let "Mcaffee" do a "Scan" along with the player... Just click "Not Accept" box if you don't want it ..They now also have an annoying after download trip to their website to provide "Feedback". Wish that Adobe would go back to the old method .... Regards Fred
    Yes indeed and the window that 1st opens up was regular size and when I clicked on install next window which use to be same size as 1st window was much smaller and not thinking I did click on the "let me know when there are updates" and then just hit install not thinking there was anything else (sneaky basta*ds) but the second I saw McAffee I stopped it immediately.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    For KB890830, I'd guess that either the detection mechanism is not working properly or Microsoft updated it again. In any event, I'd let it install and see if it happens a third time.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I got MSRT twice too, only 15 minutes apart, but no more after the second; I say go with the flow and let MS make doubly sure you're MS-free!

Bruce

Thanks
    Thank you guys, I did another install and it appears to have worked as usual Window's Secret comes through again (unless it pops up again, then I will continue whining)

Thanks
    Just an update, it appears the reinstall of KB890830 is a success. I wanted to wait 24 hours cause you know how these pesky rascals can pop back up when least expected.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Glad it is resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Glad it is resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Yes indeed the only way this help thing works is if you can get the results posted, good or bad.