Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hot-swap eSATA in Windows XP

Hi

I have a Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 (rev. 1.0) motherboard with AMD A85X Chipset that supports one eSATA connector. AMD A10-5800K processor, 4Gb of memory, two 500Gb Seagate SATA drives, DVD, etc.

It runs with Windows Professional XP SP3 (x86 32bit)

I want to know if I can hot-swap (hot-plug) an external SATA drive in the eSATA connector and don't burn anything. Of course with an external power supply for the drive.

I have read many articles with a lot of contradictions, like XP can't do it, that you can plug but can't unplug, that you must change de BIOS settings, etc.

Many thanks
    Last edited by didadocom; 2013-07-11 at 08:32.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Personally I wouldn't trust any "hot swappable" device - I've used server hardware for many years and hot swapping is limited to failed devices, but only if you have the right hardware. I have seen a server crashed by a "well known manufacturer" engineer attempting to hot swap disks.

What you probably can do it use the device as a removable disk, but you will need to eject / safely remove the device in Windows before disconnecting it.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anybody, anything?

Thanks
    Hot plugging should be fine, unplugging I would only attempt after disabling the eSATA channel/chip/device in Device Manager first - even that may not be 100% safe.