New Lounger
    Thanks

pagination problem word 2007

I am working in Word 2007 on a large document with multiple sections. It begins with an Executive Summary, followed by the TOC, the seven section body, and five appendices.

Each section has it's own numbering style, and the TOC is i, ii, iii etc. Problem is that I cannot get the first page of TOC to begin with i. The doc insists it start on an even page. I have tried repeatedly to insert a section break-odd page, but it switches itself back to section break-even page.

Help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lucie,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

My guess is the last page of the Executive summary is an odd page? Have you tried inserting a new page number at the top of the first page of the TOC?
    WordPageNos.JPG
    If you are printing double sided you can always insert a blank page although you have to be careful with this on future edits as things may move.
    HTH

Update: Sorry, sloppy me started the page at 1 vs 2 in the picture above but you get the idea.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the welcome and the quick answer. The last page of the ES is even, but I've switched it to odd, back to even, really have tried everything I can think of to get at where the problem is. Even if it were odd, shouldn't the section break-begin with odd page still work? And top or bottom of page, I get numbering for page two. Any other ideas about what is getting in the way?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After further experimentation I find the hitch seems to be in the Section Break Function, the other types of breaks seem to work on the page above the Section Break Even Page choice, but when I try to put a different Section Break under the Even choice, or try to delete the even break the even page choice overides all else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lucie,

Attached is a test file that does what I think you want. You can use its setup to compare to yours and see where the difference is. HTH
    Test Force TOC Page NO.docx
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Much rejoicing!!! The document has been in many hands,and so is a bit crazy. The problem was in Page layout>page set-up>start on odd page setting. Whew! And thanks.