Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy GPConfigUI issue, after restore

Late last night, I let Windows install a whole raft of updates. After the obligatory reboot, Eudora would not run. I switched off and went to bed. This morning, I sat down to try un-installing the updates 1 by 1. As I was doing this, I discovered that IE 9 was also messed up - it would go to my home page, but not allow me to go anywhere else. Also, the calendar gadget was acting strange, running, and with today's date highlighted, but no actual numbers displaying.

After spending some time trying to rewind the updates, I decided that it would be quicker to go back to the restore point taken immediately before the updates were installed, and work from that end instead.

The restore was successful, it said. My programs do indeed work again. However, on a reboot, I start getting errors about GPConfigUI stopping working. These keep popping up, hanging around for a few seconds, and then going away. I think that the errors stopped after about 30 minutes, but I am not sure - busy running that test right now.

There doesn't appear to be any effect from the failure, just the repeat error messages.

There was no problem with this before last night, so I would have imagined that the restore would have fixed it - although it didn't happen *until* the restore...

I guess that running ReImage will sort it out, but it will also take a large portion of my day. Plus, I still have to try installing those updates again, one at a time, to try and see what caused my original issue. I had rolled back all the .NET updates with no effect. The biggest of the applied updates was a new version of MSE.

This is going to be a fun day, I can just see it!

Phil.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Phil,

Are you using a program called Green Print? If so I'd use Revo Uninstall to get rid of it and then reinstall. Googling GPConfigUI indicates that this is part of the Green Print program AFAICT. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, yes I am. I will try that.

I am in the middle of reinstalling all the updates, one at a time... How exciting... It appears that the problem with Eudora and IE was caused by an update called KB2835361. That caused all the issues, and removing it solved them. I am continuing, just in case there is something else afoot...

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Phil,

Are you using a program called Green Print? If so I'd use Revo Uninstall to get rid of it and then reinstall. Googling GPConfigUI indicates that this is part of the Green Print program AFAICT. HTH

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, that was not the great fix that I hoped. Removing the program and rebooting did indeed resolve the issue. The error windows stopped appearing every few seconds. That is the good news. Unfortunately, re-installing the program reintroduced the error... It seems that something in one of these updates I have been laboriously installing is clashing with the program.

I sent a message to their tech support, but in the meantime, I am removing the program once again. Shame, it's a nice product too...

Thanks for the tip, though.

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Phil,